Whatbird Community
Melierax

Share a story!

Based on a recent post by @corgi, I'm starting this thread for people who simply want to share a photo and a story, and not be ignored, as what happens often to new posts. I tend to find myself not knowing where to post something simply because there isn't a thread for it, so here we are! Share a story, with a photo or video if you have one!

I'll start:

So here's something pretty cool... my family owns a cabin up in central Idaho, and there lives a ton of foxes! Last winter we had at least 8 on the lot at one time, including silver red foxes and normal red foxes. Photos of them:

p2172566-custom_orig.jpgp4273104_orig.jpg

They can be super goofy at times too!

p2172572-custom_orig.jpg

Well, it was only a matter of time... and a strong mom decided to make a den on the line between us and our neighbor's. She successfully raised 4 pups one year, and 2 the next! She even had an issue with her eye at one time, we still don't know if she's blind in that eye or not...

Looking bad:

p3033403-custom_orig.jpg

Recovered:

pb064790-custom_orig.jpg

The pups are the perfect puppy-kitten cross for those who can't decide which they like better!

p6250277-custom_orig.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Melierax said:

Anybody else???

Two pairs of Eastern Phoebes have nested on our house for three and four years now. Two years ago one lost a mate and successfully raised four chicks! (They had just hatched.)  One of them is very friendly and will come up on our patio with us up there and watch us.

phoebe, eastern (3).JPG

phoebe, eastern (9).JPG

phoebe, eastern (10).JPG

phoebe, eastern (12).JPG

phoebe, eastern (5).JPG

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 6

Neat idea Mel! Here's one... was out for a couple of hours today and it was getting late/losing light. I took a shortcut through the woods going back to my truck (had given up on any more birds photos) and ran into this group:

Young buck
DSC_7549.thumb.jpg.e34d56c95a57ccb6d6db245d0f400556.jpg

The Doe
DSC_7544.thumb.jpg.a7db8c02e99a4ced0ca04cd8f240fa41.jpg

and the big guy stepped into light
DSC_7538.thumb.jpg.8037d81ec89583c87dba99c65a7b40d7.jpg

It was (any day is) a good day to be out! :classic_smile:

Edited by G_kayaker
  • Like 5

Well I don't have photos but I DO have a good story!  So where I grew up we had an old pole dairy barn (I mean cedar poles cut when the place was logged cirra 1900) Anyhow we kept a few cows and hence a few dozen tons of hay in that old barn ... a big hay pile seemed an inviting place for young boys to throw down a sleeping bag ... the barn also was a favorite place for a barn owl to sleep. All slept in happy harmony for many a night and we enjoyed the glimpses we got of the shadowy visitor ... until one night while I was fast asleep he came in to roost and LITERALLY gave me an earful !!! ...  of fresh white sticky stuff plastered all over the whole side of my face! 😝  

Needless to say I was suddenly very much awake and destined for a midnight shower  😂

• Haha 7

My family (me included) got to go to Virginia a couple months ago to visit our grandparents. They had seen an otter a few months before in the river that ran by their cabin.

I got up and went down to the river every morning (I was nuts about seeing those otters) and finally, my patience paid off. One morning, TWO otters swam into sight!!!

Unfortunately, the lighting was VERY bad, so this was the best shot I got.:classic_sad:DSCN0196.thumb.JPG.d30a6e40c5e1ef8927c3a4b0b83ef196.JPG

Pulled quote from my blog

As I moved down O DR N checking for Snow Buntings I had a thought "If I ever find a Northern Shrike, it will probably be up here".  Here being at the East end of O DR N where it runs into 23 Mile Road.  This is one of my favorite spots, that isn't a hot spot.  It is my go to spot for Bobolinks, and was a huge spot for the Dickcissel irruption last year, Grasshopper Sparrows, and Eastern Meadowlarks.  I also expect to get Upland Sandpiper in this area, when I finally get one.  It is a hayfield on the North, scrubby brush-land dotted with small trees and bushes to the South, and on the East of 23 Mile road a large cow pasture with multiple smaller trees and a small cattle pond.  As I get within 100 yards of 23 Mile Road I see a bird take off from one of the small trees along the south side.  It looked like a Blue Jay, but didn't fly the same.  I turned South onto 23 Mile Road where it looked like the bird flew.  I located the bird at the top of one of the large trees in the cow pasture.  Put my binoculars on it, and was not expecting to see a bird with the black mask.  Finally my lifer Northern Shrike!!!  
This is a bird I expected to pick up a while ago, but just was never lucky enough to run across one.  It is a code 2, and ranked 195 through 2017 data.  This bird was without a doubt my most "Birding Mojo" bird ever.  I literally "willed" the bird into existence, at this spot <muwahahahahaaaaa>.  Really wish I could have gotten better pictures of it at the time.  

91a7574_orig.jpg

• Like 1