Whatbird Community
cobal

Southern Louisiana Birds #2

1: Neotropic Cormorant

2: Ruddy Ducks

3: Pass

4: Purple Gallinule

5: Northern Pintails with a Mottled Duck

1: Double-crested Cormorant. Edit: Would someone mind explaining why it is not  Double-crested?

2: Ruddy Ducks.

3: Pass.

4: Common Gallinule.

5: 3 Northern Pintails, 2 Green-winged Teals, and 1 Mallard. Edit: I am sure Sean C is correct about it being a Mottle Duck.

Edited by Kevin

The third goose from the left side on the bottom is a snow, the two above it could be Ross’s but I don’t think you could get an Id from the pics..

edit- sniped by Alex henry

Edited by pictaker

18 minutes ago, Kevin said:

1: Double-crested Cormorant. Edit: Would someone mind explaining why it is not  Double-crested?

5: 3 Northern Pintails, 2 Green-winged Teals, and 1 Mallard. Edit: I am sure Sean C is correct about it being a Mottle Duck.

On the cormorant note small, compact structure, small head, and white at the base of the bill. 

• Thanks 1

You have at least 3 good Ross' in there. The two you circles look good and the two white birds to the right look good too, especially the top one. I'm good with at least 3 Ross' here, probably 4. And I agree with Purple for the gallinule. An immature

Edited by akiley
  • Like 1

Sorry for all the mistakes on my part. And I think you are correct about the Neotropic Cormorant and Purple Gallinule.

30 minutes ago, Kevin said:

And a Partridge in a pear tree???? :classic_rolleyes: 

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, cvanbosk said:

Would anyone care to describe what they are seeing in the photo that sets the Ross' apart from the Snows?

First off, I see four Ross’s: the two circled and the two white ones in the center. It’s mostly a combination of general size and the size, shape, and color of their beaks.

• Like 1

Cormorant is Neotropic. Gallinule is Purple. For the geese, I see three Ross’s. The two circled and the 5th bird from the left on the bottom.

• Like 1