Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
RobinHood

Gull ID - maybe not possible.

South Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) today.

A very experienced birder spotted an Iceland Gull here a few days ago and I have been trying to find it.

So far I have only found Glaucous (still considered "rare").

This is the only one I have spotted that seems to have a somewhat slimmer bill than the "relatively" chunky ones seen on the Glaucous.

Might be a lost cause.

Thanks.

Gull ID HVT-753207.jpg

Juvenile Glaucous Gulls have the pink bill with black tip, with sharp demarcation. Tough to tell from the picture.

This bird looks looks bulky (big body, thick neck, big head). I'd lean Glaucous, but I wouldn't put money on it...

Thanks @akiley and @AlexHenry. for the feedback.

I strongly suspect you are correct. I found three juveniles, first image below is one of them and noticed the fairly heavy bill (happy to get a better image than my previous ones).

Looked through other images and noticed the one that appeared to have a more delicate bill. Even more extreme crop provided in the second image.

The Iceland that was spotted was a first for this location, hence my interest, and seen quite a way offshore in a snow storm (but by a very reliable birder).

Thanks again, definitely going to pay more attention to the Gulls from now on.

Glaucous Gull 1 juv HVT-753271.jpg

Gull ID extreme crop HVT-753207.jpg

Female gulls tend to have smaller, more slender bills than males, plus there is individual variation.

1st cycle Iceland Gulls usually have an all or mostly black bill, maybe a little pinkish but just at the base and without the sharp demarcation.

• Like 1

Glaucous Gull is a real good bird in Ontario! 

If you get a chance you should go to the Niagara Falls area for a day or two, probably about 3 hour drive for you; pretty good numbers of Iceland, including some Thayer's (maybe less exciting now that they've been demoted), plus lots of other gulls. November and December are prime.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

If you get a chance you should go to the Niagara Falls area for a day or two, probably about 3 hour drive for you; pretty good numbers of Iceland, including some Thayer's (maybe less exciting now that they've been demoted), plus lots of other gulls. November and December are prime.

Yes, I've been keeping an eye on Hamilton and Niagara for a while, would make a nice little trip for Gull hunting - maybe early December.

If your interested, the OFO (Ontario Field Ornithologists) has an annual gull "convention" in Niagara. It's a good time to go cause there's so many people looking for gulls, something good usually gets found, and it's a good place to learn because lots of experts lead it! 8 species minimum, and good chances of Kittiwake, and lower chances of Black-headed and Franklin's, and anything else is possible! 

And I agree with Glaucous 😉

• Like 1