Whatbird Community

These geese were seen this week in Pismo Beach, CA. I believe, judging from the size, they are a Ross's Goose, a Cackling Goose, and a Greater White-fronted Goose all grazing alongside a flock of Canada Geese (not in the frame).

IMG_3945[1].JPG

IMG_3944[1].JPG

IMG_3950[1].JPG

Its tough to tell from these pictures; a good tell for Cackling and Ross's Goose vs Canada and Snow Goose respectively is the shape of the beak and head, which is best seen in profile and is tough to see here.

I'd call the white bird Ross's Goose. Not sure about that Cackler/Canada, very possibly Cackling Goose but I'm not sure.

And yes, a Greater White-fronted Goose.

You really have a goose smorgasbord there, I'm jealous. 

Here's another shot of the geese showing a little profile for the Ross's/Snow Goose. This was a true "Hat trick" for me as they are all new lifers for me if my ID's hold. A Cackling Goose and Ross's Goose had both been reported there on eBird earlier in the week.

IMG_3945[1].JPG

Edited by Rudebird

I can tell you that these are 100% Ross's, Cackling, and Greater white-fronted geese because I live right next to that golf course and have seen them for the past two weeks! (They were also confirmed by another experienced birder). the white-front showed up first, then a few days later the cackling, then the Ross's.

Small world!

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3196.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

• Like 1