Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kathylee

Hawk of some type?

Can anyone id this bird? Hawk.thumb.jpg.5b819896d1edc6ada326dc667a21f1ef.jpg

I've considered a Juvenile Common Black Hawk or the Juvenile Zone-tailed Hawk both because of the tail feather pattern seen in flight. The tail feathers do not appear to be short enough for a Common Black Hawk however the water habitat was more consistent, which was the North Platte River. Nebraska does not appear to be a location for either of these birds.  I did not observe any white on the head or around the eyes nor do I see any visible markings at the ankle area. This was seen on April 6, 2019 at 10:55am in Lewellen Nebraska.

Hawk 1 NE.jpg

Hawk 2 NE.jpg

Edited by Kathylee
  • Like 1

Definitely not Common Black Hawk - shape and the way its flying is all wrong, Black Hawks have very broad wings.

This looks very good for juvenile Zone-tailed Hawk, plumage, shape, the way it is flying with wings held in dihedral. 

However because it is out of range, you should practice your due diligence and be very careful ruling out other dark morph buteos, for example this looks VERY similar to a dark morph Rough-legged Hawk but the tarsi are not feathered, bill is a bit too large.

If that is a Zone-tailed, that's awesome!

• Like 2

Thank you for ruling out the Common Black Hawk. I have not ruled out all dark morphed hawks or any other large raptors that somewhat fit. I have a few additional photos I will go through and "clean up" to attempt to get different features. It would be pretty amazing to see a Zone-tailed in Nebraska!

13 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Definitely not Common Black Hawk - shape and the way its flying is all wrong, Black Hawks have very broad wings.

This looks very good for juvenile Zone-tailed Hawk, plumage, shape, the way it is flying with wings held in dihedral. 

However because it is out of range, you should practice your due diligence and be very careful ruling out other dark morph buteos, for example this looks VERY similar to a dark morph Rough-legged Hawk but the tarsi are not feathered, bill is a bit too large.

If that is a Zone-tailed, that's awesome!

26 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

This looks like a Red-tailed to me.

Oh no, major disappointment - I was starting to get quite excited by this one (I've found nothing myself recently).

However, the Dark juvenile in Sibley, at rest and "kiting", seems to fit (a central/west USA Red-tail colour thing?). I'm not giving up hope though.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced this is Red-tailed - can you provide more reasoning?

Adult dark morph Red-tails usually have some reddish in tails and some rusty in undertail coverts, as well as a chocolate brown, not totally black color. Juvenile Red-tails have a yellow eye; this bird has a black eye. Harlan's is a possibility, but usually adult Harlan's have whitish streaking on the breast. This bird does not appear to have as much secondary bulge as I would expect with Red-tailed Hawk.

It's not a Zone-tailed Hawk.  All the pictures I've looked at of both immatures and adults in the Macauley library, such as this one and this one, have all the flight feathers barred (contrary to Sibley), whereas this one has a white wing "panel" visible in the second shot.  Also, if you see a Zone-tail in flight, the resemblance to a Turkey Vulture is obvious.

I think this is a Harlan's Red-tail.  Nebraska is a perfectly good place for them, and some don't have white markings on the head or breast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

It's not a Zone-tailed Hawk.  All the pictures I've looked at of both immatures and adults in the Macauley library, such as this one and this one, have all the flight feathers barred (contrary to Sibley), whereas this one has a white wing "panel" visible in the second shot.  Also, if you see a Zone-tail in flight, the resemblance to a Turkey Vulture is obvious.

I think this is a Harlan's Red-tail.  Nebraska is a perfectly good place for them, and some don't have white markings on the head or breast.

Agreed. Definitely not Zone-tailed.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who responded. I'm including two new photos and the third is a copy of one of the two but lightened up. Red-tailed are definitely present in this area.

Hawk.jpg

Hawk 2.jpg

Hawk  2 Photo Lightened.jpg