Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
GracesWarbler

High-altitude Arizona birds near water

Hi all.  I went out to a pond near Flagstaff, Arizona yesterday morning.  The sunflowers were blooming and I saw a lot of birds.

1) This one was clinging to some of the sunflowers.  A Brewer's Sparrow?

DSC_0204-XL.jpg

2) This one was hanging out in the cat-tails near the water.

DSC_0298-XL.jpg

3) I spotted this one running through the reeds.  I only got a quick look at it, and it ran off.  Is it a Sora?

DSC_0330-XL.jpg

4) There were a few of these hanging out in the sunflowers.  Is it a lesser goldfinch?

DSC_0361-X3.jpg

5) This one was also in the sunflowers, but I saw it earlier than the one above.  It looks like the same species as 4, but 4 looks yellowish while I don't see as much yellow here, but maybe that's just me.  Is it also a Lesser Goldfinch?

DSC_0220-XL.jpg

Thanks!

A Yellow-headed Blackbird!  Just when I feel like I'm getting a hang on identifying some common birds, the lady-birds throw me off.

14 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Nice shot on the Sora!

Thanks.  Actually, I'd never heard of a Sora before, before I went looking through the bird book for this one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

Thanks.  Actually, I'd never heard of a Sora before, before I went looking through the bird book for this one.

That's one of the reasons I give when I recommend people buy a printed field guide, no matter how many electronic resources they have access to.

• Like 1