Whatbird Community

I was at a campground in Silver City, New Mexico. That is SW New Mexico. The campground had a pond with a fence around it, so it could be a domesticated bird. Here are an adult and a juvenile. I originally assumed it was a Mute Swan, but the adult knob isn't black. iBird Pro wants to identify the small bird as a Ross's Goose or Snow Goose, but the bill colour and leg colours don't seem right and that description doesn't fit the adult.

Are they domesticated hybrids?

_5D42615.thumb.jpg.04fa514470de75009a7ec42da9700ced.jpg_5D42614.thumb.jpg.d35da1e4f7575005ca9b0096f89e9cad.jpg 

_5D42609.thumb.jpg.c5fb8e8002fbdb858219d19617bd1958.jpg

6 hours ago, akiley said:

You have two domestic birds. A goose and a white domestic Mallard.

Agreed. The goose is a domestic Swan Goose.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What's the smaller duck in the second photo?

looks like a Mottled Duck or a hybrid

Thanks for the domestic Goose and Mallard.

I hadn't considered the possibility of Mexican duck and I've been looking for one. I'll look at my other pictures of the Mallard-like birds and see if I can confirm the Mexican duck. I was at a Bosque del Apache one or two weeks earlier, and the experts said that they weren't seeing Mexican ducks yet. But, this is later and a slightly different place – much higher.

Here are two more photos of the ducks. They are the same photo, but I cropped it into two groups of three to get a better view. Does it seem that there are three Mexican ducks in the first photo?

I assume the bird in back of the second photo is a Male Mallard (out of breeding season or juvenile). The two ducks in front might be different species. There is a hint of blue in the wing on the one at right. The one on left has a more orange bill. Suggestions are welcome, of course.

_5D42624.jpg

Version 2.jpg

Edited by Gordon Sick
  • Like 1

The male looks reasonable for a Mexican intergrade or hybrid, whichever you call it.  I'd think that even if a (Northern) Mallard would still be in juvenile or non-breeding plumage at this time of year, its tail wouldn't be so brownish.  I don't know why the two smaller ones wouldn't be regular female Mallards, but I'm no expert.

1 hour ago, Phalarope713 said:

The male looks good for a pure Mexican. The male in the second photo with a partially green head is a Mallard x Mexican Duck. 

Oh, right, those are two different triplets of birds.  But the male in the first photo has white or nearly white outer tail feathers instead of "rich brown", and a bright yellow bill (as far as I can tell) instead of "pale green", indicating some Mallard ancestry, according to Hubbard (1977), pp. 4 and 24.  Or is there newer information?

3 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Oh, right, those are two different triplets of birds.  But the male in the first photo has white or nearly white outer tail feathers instead of "rich brown", and a bright yellow bill (as far as I can tell) instead of "pale green", indicating some Mallard ancestry, according to Hubbard (1977), pp. 4 and 24.  Or is there newer information?

The bill color of Mexican Ducks is bright yellow to dusky yellow. The bill color here is certainly within range. Although there is a small amount of pale edging, this varies with light and is also certainly within range of a MEDU, especially given that this bird was photographed in MX. I think it’s a good bet for a pure bird. Although it could have some MALL genes from multiple generations ago (as virtually all MEDU do), the dark tail and undertail coverts, lack of green in the head, and uncurled tail feathers suggest pure MEDU. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phalarope713 said:

The bill color of Mexican Ducks is bright yellow to dusky yellow. The bill color here is certainly within range. Although there is a small amount of pale edging, this varies with light and is also certainly within range of a MEDU, especially given that this bird was photographed in MX. I think it’s a good bet for a pure bird. Although it could have some MALL genes from multiple generations ago (as virtually all MEDU do), the dark tail and undertail coverts, lack of green in the head, and uncurled tail feathers suggest pure MEDU. 

Thanks.  Where are you getting that information?  I'd like to have an up-to-date source for these ducks.

By the way, the photos in this thread were taken in the U.S. (Silver City, New Mexico).

On 11/26/2019 at 9:01 PM, Phalarope713 said:

Whoops! Sorry, I just skimmed over it and though it said MX rather than NM.

Steven Mlodinow, an expert on Mexican Ducks and their hybrids, has a very informative album of photos on flickr dedicated to this topic that I have linked below. Hope that helps!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36088296@N08/albums/72157632748801818

Thanks, that's helpful.  I see that this male has as much pale color on the tail as the one we're talking about.  I also found the third one (with its bill pointing up) on this page from the Macauley library.  So their tails don't have to be as brown as Hubbard led me to believe.  (I'm blaming him.)

Yeah, the sides of the tail often appear pale/whitish on male Mexican Ducks. However, in flight or when viewed from above the tail should be solid brown. 

Edited by Phalarope713
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for a very informative discussion of my Mexican ducks and the likelihood that they are hybridized with Mallards.

My delay in posting was because I was off-line during my drive home.

–Gordon

• Like 1

Here is one final picture to see if I've got this right. This time, the birds are swimming, but it is the same pond as before. 

The front left is a pure Mallard Male. To the right of him is a Mexican Duck Female, and other Mexican Ducks behind and to the right.

Behind and to the left is a hybrid Male Mallard and Mexican Duck.

Does that seem right?

_5D42617.jpg

• Like 1

Well, let's see if I get corrected again.  I agree about the male (Northern) Mallard.  To our right is a female--I pass.  Behind her is a male Mexican-Mallard intergrade/hybrid, looking very Mexican except for the dark, slightly curled central tail feather.  Pass on the ones that are farther back.  The male far away on our left probably has some Mexican or domestic ancestry, but I'd need a better look to tell you which.  Others may know more.

By the way, it may be better to start a new thread when you're adding photos of different birds to a thread that's been answered already.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 1

Yeah, the front male definitely looks like a pure MALL. The male in the back left is a MALL x MEDU, and the male with the yellow bill in the center looks like a pure MEDU. As for the females, the bird directly behind the male MALL is probably a female MALL, while the first two females behind the candidate male MEDU certainly might be pure MEDU although without additional photos it will be hard to tell for sure. The female in the farthest back looks to have some MALL genes due to the white in the tail. Hope that helps!

• Like 2