Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
OntarioBirder

canadabirder

Hi there,

We have a bird identification we are struggling with and hope you all can help!

We spotted this bird in Alberta in the first week of August from the car. We were driving out of the town of Jasper toward the Parkway, sometime mid-morning. I was driving but my fiance snapped a few photos (below). We are totally stumped as to identification given the odd shape of its wings -- I would have thought it was a camera malfunction if it weren't for the fact we got more than one photo in flight. 

Unfortunately I can't add much detail as to its colour or size except to say that we thought it was fairly large (so not a song bird!). Not expecting a definitive identification but anything that can help us solve this mystery would be much appreciated!

weird-bird-jasper-august-2019.jpg

weird-bird-jasper-august-2019-v2.jpg

9 hours ago, OntarioBirder said:

Thanks all! Fascinating - we never would have guessed moulting would be so symmetrical. 

Molting is usually symmetrical but it's very important on flight feathers.  If it wasn't, the bird would be aerodynamically out of balance, and have to work harder to fly straight or maneuver. 

• Like 1