Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
AlexHenry

Cackling Goose Question

Interesting bird. Here are my (inexperienced) thoughts:

I think that this is might be a valid taverneri individual. In terms of head/bill shape, it is quite spot on, which the rounded crown and sloping forehead that blends right into a relatively thick, blunt bill. In terms of size, this subspecies is supposed to be pretty large. I can't assess from this photo, but maybe you could from your experience with this bird. The breast coloration looks fine, but the underparts are quite pale (taverneri should show darker bellies than breasts). There is no breast band and the upperwing coverts are hard to assess from this photo.

To sum up, I would probably guess taverneri but definitely wait for more opinions. Maybe @akiley can give his opinion.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, akandula said:

I think that this is might be a valid taverneri individual. In terms of head/bill shape, it is quite spot on, which the rounded crown and sloping forehead that blends right into a relatively thick, blunt bill. In terms of size, this subspecies is supposed to be pretty large. I can't assess from this photo, but maybe you could from your experience with this bird. The breast coloration looks fine, but the underparts are quite pale (taverneri should show darker bellies than breasts). There is no breast band and the upperwing coverts are hard to assess from this photo.

To sum up, I would probably guess taverneri but definitely wait for more opinions. Maybe @akiley can give his opinion.

I agree with you. This looks good for taverneri. Tav essentially looks like a more Canada-like Cackling Goose, and may be lumped with Canada in the future. Structurally, and in terms of bill shape/size, tavs look intermediate between say Richardson's Cackling and a small Canada. 

Overall coloring on Canada and Cackling Geese is variable individually, and across subspecies. So the lighter breast should not be a problem here. Looks classic Tav.

• Like 3

There's also a very good Cackling Goose PDF from the ABA. It's not a link so I don't know how to add that here, but if you Google: "aba cackling goose pdf" it'll be the first thing.

Thanks for the opinions and info! Taverner's are supposedly pretty rare here, but it seems to me they may be more frequent than people think because they may be overlooked and even when they are put on eBird they are usually not confirmed. Several experienced birders in my county have reported Taverner's within the past few months in my area but none have been confirmed, even with good pictures and write ups.

19 hours ago, akandula said:

i agree with this assessment.