Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
ausnic44

hummer ID needed

Are you guys sure about Starling? Look at the tail, bill, and that touch of red on the head.  I'm not too familiar with eastern Woodpeckers, but maybe Red-bellied? The hummer should be a Ruby-throated by range, but no way to verify by this pic.

• Like 1

I agree,  that doesn't really look like a starling, the bill is too bulky and the back pattern seems off. Also the tail feathers look like some sort of woodpecker's not really the fan shape of a starling.The pattern on the face kinda reminds me of ladder backed woodpecker but that would be out of range.

That's a very slender twig that bird #1 is perched on.  It doesn't look like it would support a starling or woodpecker.  I don't think even a Downy could get his feet wrapped around it.  I think those birds would look proportionately larger with respect to that twig.

I don't like a Hummer, the bill is too short and too thick at the base, and I don't think the wings are long enough.  Still, I don't know what else it could be.

I don't think #2 can be positively identified from this photo.  If you held a gun to my head I'd go with Ruby-throat, but I don't see anything to eliminate a female or immature Rufous.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Creeker said:

Are you guys sure about Starling? Look at the tail, bill, and that touch of red on the head.  I'm not too familiar with eastern Woodpeckers, but maybe Red-bellied? The hummer should be a Ruby-throated by range, but no way to verify by this pic.

Haha, not overly sure. Any other photos of this bird?

First bird is a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Not sure about the hummingbird, but as mentioned above, probably Ruby-throated due to range.

Edited by Phalarope713
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

First bird is a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Not sure about the hummingbird, but as mentioned above, probably Ruby-throated due to range.

Whew, thanks! :classic_ninja:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phalarope713 said:

Yes! I was thinking along those same lines after I studied it further.

• Like 1