Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
GracesWarbler

Least Sandpipers and Cormorants in Arizona?

I'm making a bird calendar for friends and family, so I want to get IDs right.  Below is a photo I took in Gilbert, AZ (next to Phoenix), in September.  A flock of these birds were swooping around together near the water.  The area has some ponds and some trees (it's the Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch, if you know the area).  These are Least Sandpipers, right?  Or something else?  Is the leg color the best way to distinguish Least Sandpipers from others?

DSC_4399-XL.jpg

Also, I want to make sure I'm correctly IDing the Cormorants below.  Are these both Neotropic Cormorants, right, due to the feathers in front of the eye?  Does the white line on the second one signify that it's an adult, and the first one is a juvenile?  Both were taken in Gilbert, AZ.  The first photo was taken in March and the second one was taken in September.

DSC_1657-XL.jpg

DSC_4424-XL.jpg

I lived in Gilbert for a few months while working on a project using a facility at the ASU Polytechnic Campus in Mesa. Gilbert Water Ranch is a great spot - definitely a favorite of mine! Lots of cool stuff.

You may already know all the spots I'd suggest, but if you live in the area, I definitely have some suggestions about good birding spots!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 3:46 PM, AlexHenry said:

I lived in Gilbert for a few months while working on a project using a facility at the ASU Polytechnic Campus in Mesa. Gilbert Water Ranch is a great spot - definitely a favorite of mine! Lots of cool stuff.

You may already know all the spots I'd suggest, but if you live in the area, I definitely have some suggestions about good birding spots!

Sure, I'd love to hear some recommendations.  I live up in Flagstaff, and the only places I've gone in the Gilbert/Phoenix area are the Riparian Preserve, the Desert Botanical Gardens, and one of the Phoenix city parks.