Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
AlexHenry

Goose Question

Saw this bird in Oakland CA recently. It was so much smaller than nearby Canada Geese that without paying too much attention I assumed it was Cackling. Now looking at these pictures, it doesn't seem to fit - head and bill shape look more Canada to me.

Could this be some Canada Goose subspecies - perhaps Dusky? (would be quite rare in the area, but I can't make this bird fit with any of the Cackling subspecies).

DSCN3768.JPG

DSCN3775.JPG

Looks like quite a good match to me (except long way south) and maybe a dark "Lesser" would fit the range better. I won't say the word "hybrid", oops I did.

I was really just giving this a bump and hopefully an expert will take a look.

This looks like an Aleutian Cackling Goose. The breast is appropriately dark, there is a strong dark gular stripe, and the bill is relatively long for a Cackling. Some Aleutians lack white neck collars in November and December. 

I'm struggling to see Aleutian here, usually Aleutians have a boxy head with a steep forehead. Aleutians are quite common in this area and this bird does not seem to fit. 

50 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

I'm struggling to see Aleutian here, usually Aleutians have a boxy head with a steep forehead. Aleutians are quite common in this area and this bird does not seem to fit. 

I agree, the head shape looks wrong for an Aleutian, but based on your description of the size and the shortish bill I think it has to be a CACG, and I’m not sure what other subspecies fits. 

5 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

I agree, the head shape looks wrong for an Aleutian, but based on your description of the size and the shortish bill I think it has to be a CACG, and I’m not sure what other subspecies fits. 

Yeah you're probably right, it does seem like a Cackling Goose, its definitely not minima, fits pretty well with Aleutian, and Aleutian is most likely. Something about it is just throwing me off.

If it's a Cackler, the best bet for the rounded head shape and dark breast would be Taverner's. However, that subsp typically has a thicker-based bill giving something of a "roman-nosed" appearance. Unfortunately, Richardson's and Taverner's have apparently met and are now mixing genes, making the differentiation of anything but classically-shaped individuals a bit problematic. BTW, Tav is the largest of the four subspecies of Cacklers.