Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
cvanbosk

Are these Mottled Ducks? (Pinellas Co. FL, 12-6-19)

Looks good to me given the lack of black on the females bill which Mallards have, no visible white line on the speculum, black spots at the gape, unmarked buffy faces.

But I've never been to Florida in my life and I've only been to Texas once so I don't have much experience with Mottled Duck, so I may well be wrong.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Looks good to me given the lack of black on the females bill which Mallards have, no visible white line on the speculum, black spots at the gape, unmarked buffy faces.

But I've never been to Florida in my life and I've only been to Texas once so I don't have much experience with Mottled Duck, so I may well be wrong.

Thanks Alex. The photo doesn't show it well but the speculum was uniformly blue, no white. I've seen lots of mottled ducks and these struck me as such, but Ebird marked it rare so I began doubting myself.

Mottled Duck flags in Pinellas County because most of the birds that are called Mottleds are actually hybrid Mallad x Mottled Duck (see here). Thus, the county filter was changed to not allow reports of the species without photos or good descriptions.