Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
cvanbosk

All I want for Christmas ... is to understand Dunlins.

What the heck is the deal with Dunlins? According to Cornell, their size (length) range ranges from 7.1 to 8.7 inches. That's about a 30 percent variation! A quick look through similar shorebirds shows that the normal size variation is typically much smaller. I never paid much attention to this because in my normal birding grounds on the east coast of Florida, dunlins are always smaller than sanderlings. But last weekend I made a trip over to the west coast ... and got real confused. In the photo below, notice the gargantuan bird to the right of the two sanderlings. I desperately tried to convince myself it wasn't a dunlin - but couldn't. It just seems too doggone big. Can someone please put me out of my misery?

cropDSCN4157.thumb.jpg.5c519ca8afc9764ab06caaf222b62cd8.jpg

You're correct that the back rightmost bird is a Dunlin. However the other two birds are not Sanderlings, they are some sort of peep, possibly Western Sandpiper.

I had never noticed that size variation about Dunlins, but that is interesting. I wonder if the differences in size are related to gender, or disjunct breeding populations, or what?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These look a bit more like Semipalmated to me.   Flatter back profile, a little darker eye stripe, not as front heavy as Westerns appear.  any phoros of the bills?

They could well be Semipalmated, I was operating under the assumption that Semipalmateds don't winter in the US, but I don't know anything about Florida so I may be wrong. They do appear rather slender and are relatively dark, especially in the breast, which suggest Semipalmated.

The bills seem on the long side for SESA.   and if these are recent pics then WESA seems more likely as AlexH mentions👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bill shape and length looks fine for Western for those two. There should be no Semis in the US in winter.

• Like 1

There are many subspecies of Dunlin, which is the main reason behind the large variation in size. Not many other arctic-breeding shorebird species are polytypic, probably due to the nature of their migrations.

• Like 1