Whatbird Community

Yes, that is a young Red-tailed.  The Red-tailed Hawk is one species, but there are several subspecies of Red-tailed.  My guess is that it's an Eastern, but I don't have much experience with Red-tailed subspecies.

• Like 3

White on the face suggests something else, I was specifically thinking maybe light morph Harlan's RTHA, but not sure if the tail fits. Maybe @akiley can help?

Edited by Melierax

I think it's probably Eastern (borealis) as well, but I have no personal experience with Harlan's. But I know that light morph Harlan's are pretty rare.

Just checked Sibley and he says less than 1% of Harlan's are light. 

Oh, interesting. I know that there's one living here in Idaho every winter.... I have no idea about borealis though so I don't know the variability on the face. I'll trust yalls judgement!

Nice photos, ausnic44. 

Peterson's guide to hawks mentions that young light-morph Harlan's will show wide dark malar stripes (which this bird doesn't show), as well as having colder, black-brown coloration as opposed to the typical warm-brown of easterns.  He also mentions a dark spike in the center of the tips of the tail feathers.  This bird's tail feathers look a little too worn to be able to notice that anyway though.

• Like 2

There's a lot of out-of-date information about Harlan's.  Something like 10 or 15% are light morphs, according to

http://checklist.aou.org/assets/proposals/PDF/2019-A.pdf

But I agree with the other points @Bee_ keeper quoted from Peterson, though the "spike" in the tail tips (due to white inner webs of the tail feathers) seems to be missing from some.  Anyway, as a non-expert, I don't see a problem with calling this Eastern, as expected in Mississippi.  The tail looks normal for a juvenile Eastern, as far as I can tell.

• Like 1