Whatbird Community

This is definitely an American Robin, with that thrush-shape, white eye arcs, yellow bill, and gray back with a black tail. You can even see a hint of the orange breast.

It's probably a female/immature, which contributes to how lightly-colored it is.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 2

You’re probably right... But I’ve a question — and please don’t think I’m trying to be rude or anything 😊 — when comparing some pictures in Nevada of American Pipits seen in December, they look so similar to the OPs picture! What am I missing?  Is it the eyes? For example, here’s one of a bunch i  copy/paste’d  from this link  https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/42670641

2402C90E-D210-4DCE-8904-54C116BFF41E.thumb.jpeg.6b9649f59b0b6d9de7d27f35bb23f8c9.jpeg

Also from the same site, there’s some Pipits with more rufous/reddish near the chest/shoulders as seen in the OP photo with the same yellow black-tipped bill, wing tips, eye swoosh, etc.  I really hope you don’t think I’m being rude..! 😬 Just trying to figure this out as I’ve never seen a Robin this pale or gray before even in breeding plumage or immature/juvenile, but perhaps in the arid regions of the US this isn’t uncommon...

OK, now I’m going to go run and hide out of embarrassment  ☺️ 🥴😆

42 minutes ago, akandula said:

This is definitely an American Robin, with that thrush-shape, white eye arcs, yellow bill, and gray back with a black tail. You can even see a hint of the orange breast.

It's probably a female/immature, which contributes to how lightly-colored it is.

Edited by Winter
Edta

You’re not being rude at all, @Winter! Your question is actually very good. The original bird is an American Robin for the following reasons:

1. It has a thrush-like shape: Pipits are more slender than thrushes, with much broader primary feathers (creating a triangle-like point on the folded-wing, not a many-feathered “trapezoid” as on a thrush). Also, pipits have more slender beaks.
  2. It has a Robin-like facial pattern: Note the broad broken eye-arcs on the robin, not a thin complete eyering as on a pipit. The American Robin also lacks the pale throat wrapping around the auriculars.
  3. It has a robin-like overall color: Pipits have a brown wash overall, while robins a more gray.

Hope that helped you differentiate the two!

• Like 3