Whatbird Community

I would love to hear opinions on the bird seen on the far left. The sunlight is complicating things and I want to make sure that I am not missing anything

Pictures taken on Thursday in Fort Bend County, TX, near Houston.

Thanks in advance

DSCN3690

Well it looks larger and bigger-headed than the Ring-bills.

We can rule out Franklin's, Laughing, Bonaparte's, Ring-billed Gull. I also think we can rule out Lesser Black-backed Gull.

It may just be due to the sunlight, but the wingtips look pale. Combined with an all-dark, rather slender bill (compare bill shape to Herring Gull on far right), it seems like Iceland to me. But I think that would be rare there.

The other option is Herring Gull, which is more likely, and the color is just washed out by the sunlight.

Any other pics?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Babbitt said:

How about an Iceland Gull?

I was wondering that, it looks like Iceland to me except Iceland Gull would be pretty rare there.

• Like 1

It may be an Iceland Gull but the photo is likely too poor to tell. Iceland, either Kumlien's or Thayer's should be quite rare in TX. Structure looks a little Herring-like. I'm not surprised if that's what this bird is.

• Like 1

I have absconded with the photo and cropped it and darkened it to remove much of the over-exposed aspect. As can be seen here, the bill is shallow (top to bottom) and all black, which rules out Herring Gull. Additionally, the primaries are not black and the inner webs of the secondaries are pale -- both features of Thayer's Gull. I have no problem with Thayer's Gull [or "Iceland Gull (Thayer's)" in eBird parlance] as the ID of that bird.

thgu.jpg

Edited by Tony Leukering
fix typo
  • Like 3