Whatbird Community

An adult male Merlin (Taiga subspecies) is correct. Note the dark, stocky appearance, pale mustache stripe, white eyebrow, and heavily marked underparts.

Edited by akandula

30 minutes ago, akandula said:

An adult male Merlin (Taiga subspecies) is correct. Note the dark, stocky appearance, pale mustache stripe, white eyebrow, and heavily marked underparts.

Why not Prairie? Looks pretty light blue above. A lot of contrast between the body and the black wings. Taiga should be darker gray above and have some, but little contrast between the back and the wings. Black Merlin has no contrast.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, akiley said:

Why not Prairie? Looks pretty light blue above. A lot of contrast between the body and the black wings. Taiga should be darker gray above and have some, but little contrast between the back and the wings. Black Merlin has no contrast.

Sorry, Prairie is correct. I got a little mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

Just now, Kevin said:

I agree with Prairie Falcon.

I don't think they meant Prairie Falcon.  I believe they're talking about the Prairie subspecies of Merlin.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I don't think they meant Prairie Falcon.  I believe they're talking about the Prairie subspecies of Merlin.

Sorry about that.:classic_blush:

• Like 1

I recognize this photo location as Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Denver.  It looks very similar to a photo I took out there recently too.  I think it's a Merlin

49266514021_978b8a8cfe_h.jpgMerlin by Dave, on Flickr

26 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I recognize this photo location as Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Denver.  It looks very similar to a photo I took out there recently too.  I think it's a Merlin

49266514021_978b8a8cfe_h.jpgMerlin by Dave, on Flickr

This looks good for Prairie (Merlin) as well.

• Like 2