Whatbird Community

2 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Pretty far north for a Pelican.

That was my thought, too, from looking at range maps, but eBird shows them well up into New York with a number of recent sightings near Rockaway:

https://ebird.org/map/brnpel?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2019

• Like 1

It would be pretty rare up there and most south eastern/midatlantic coastal birds which wander up into the northeast (like Royal Terns, Little Blue Herons, Brown Pelicans etc) do so in a post-breeding dispersion movement generally like July - Sept or Oct. So I wouldn't really expect it in winter.

4 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

It would be pretty rare up there and most south eastern/midatlantic coastal birds which wander up into the northeast (like Royal Terns, Little Blue Herons, Brown Pelicans etc) do so in a post-breeding dispersion movement generally like July - Sept or Oct. So I wouldn't really expect it in winter.

First off... there was no date given on the sighting. Secondly while not common... sightings have been increasing late into Nov and Dec . There are quite a few records of flocks of more than one as well, although most are single birds.

There were actually 2 separate confirmed sightings of Brown Pelican as recently as 12/18/19 in New Jersey. Two birds at Island Beach State Park & one at Palmyra Cove along the Delaware River near Philadelphia. Also did a search on eBird for the entire state of New Jersey from the year 2000 thru 2019 & it appears there have been sightings every month of the year over that time period. Certainly not all that common & I'm sure some of the sightings have been under unusual circumstances but can't rule them out either.

I think @Kevin's suggestion of Ring-necked Pheasant is more likely, especially given that they are seen quite a bit at Rockaway Beach:

pheasant.JPG.920c020a63d19dd786b61711b5e780ec.JPG

I'm not saying it is impossible that a Brown Pelican could be there at that time of year, but one has never been seen in Queens County in the month of December, so it seems pretty unlikely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

I think @Kevin's suggestion of Ring-necked Pheasant is more likely, especially given that they are seen quite a bit at Rockaway Beach:

pheasant.JPG.920c020a63d19dd786b61711b5e780ec.JPG

I'm not saying it is impossible that a Brown Pelican could be there at that time of year, but one has never been seen in Queens County in the month of December, so it seems pretty unlikely.

Thanks, @AlexHenry! I did not know that my post was not moved, when @Aveschapines moved @Theresa's post in to a new one.

https://ebird.org/map/brnpel?neg=true&env.minX=-74.72675131250003&env.minY=40.29736618707366&env.maxX=-73.23261068750003&env.maxY=41.09594392699658&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=11&emo=12&yr=cur&byr=2019&eyr=2019

Not saying anything about this particular bird ID since we do not have much to go on. Just stating that Brown Pelican should not be thrown out based on location alone as there have been many sightings in the general area in NOV/DEC of this year alone and more if you zoom out to include the NJ coast(not that far from Rockaway as the Pelican flies)

Edited by birdbrain22
  • Like 2
On 12/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, birdbrain22 said:

https://ebird.org/map/brnpel?neg=true&env.minX=-74.72675131250003&env.minY=40.29736618707366&env.maxX=-73.23261068750003&env.maxY=41.09594392699658&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=11&emo=12&yr=cur&byr=2019&eyr=2019

Not saying anything about this particular bird ID since we do not have much to go on. Just stating that Brown Pelican should not be thrown out based on location alone as there have been many sightings in the general area in NOV/DEC of this year alone and more if you zoom out to include the NJ coast(not that far from Rockaway as the Pelican flies)

Agreed