Whatbird Community

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally after more than a month I was able to get a photo of the Harris’s Sparrow where you can actually tell what it is. Still poor quality however. Think I’m doomed to never get a good photo but alw

Lifer 300, the great and mighty Whooping Crane.

Been real busy at work to post but did get out to see this Black Guillemot when it showed up in december here on the jersey shore  

Posted Images

County first Barrow's Goldeneye was found on open part of Kalamazoo River today.  I didn't even stop at this area earlier in the day to check. Drove right by it.  Thankfully another birder did happen to stop.  Second coastal bird found within this 4-5 mile stretch of the river in the past two weeks.  Likely the Gull Lake/Sherman Lake bird from Kalamazoo relocated.  

2400?__hstc=264660688.cbc2e6bf542059d5db

• Like 6

County first Barrow's Goldeneye was found on open part of Kalamazoo River today.  I didn't even stop at this area earlier in the day to check. Drove right by it.  Thankfully another birder did happen to stop.  Second coastal bird found within this 4-5 mile stretch of the river in the past two weeks.  Likely the Gull Lake/Sherman Lake bird from Kalamazoo relocated.  

2400?__hstc=264660688.cbc2e6bf542059d5db

I just added an ID for this on iNaturalist! 

Edited by Jefferson Shank
  • Like 1

Finally after more than a month I was able to get a photo of the Harris’s Sparrow where you can actually tell what it is. Still poor quality however. Think I’m doomed to never get a good photo but always see/hear him 😪 (this was my 10th observation of him)650E6E13-7B44-491F-8F6B-3E38E53BC5A3.thumb.jpeg.640a5af93107afa76f4bd94e543934c7.jpeg

• Like 11

Development is rapidly destroying this beautiful Bird's habitat. https://sonoranjv.org/beldings-yellowthroat-conservation/#:~:text=The Belding's Yellowthroat (Geothlypis beldingi,only in Baja California Sur.&text=The species faces serious threats,and poorly planned coastal development.  I reported my feelings to eBird maybe 20 years ago.  Their reply was something like...We had someone down at the San Jose estuary 6 months ago and there seemed to be plenty of them around.  Read the article. Investors started building a marina that took up a huge portion of Belding's Yellowthroat habitat.  Someone told be I'd better be quiet if I knew what was good for me. 

284073096_YellowthroatBeldings.jpg.9acc1de4e87ee5ca4672b571aca92776.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
18 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

The Phainopepla was nice to see. They are very difficult in Marin County (but there have been more and more records in the past few years), they're close to annual now. Looks like @DLecy got it as well.

Cool find and great shot! Even though they are doable here, they are still pretty hard to find in Orange County.