Whatbird Community

40 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

The Phainopepla was nice to see. They are very difficult in Marin County (but there have been more and more records in the past few years), they're close to annual now. Looks like @DLecy got it as well.

That's the place you would see one. Sitting on some berry bushes!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally after more than a month I was able to get a photo of the Harris’s Sparrow where you can actually tell what it is. Still poor quality however. Think I’m doomed to never get a good photo but alw

Lifer 300, the great and mighty Whooping Crane.

Been real busy at work to post but did get out to see this Black Guillemot when it showed up in december here on the jersey shore  

Posted Images

11 hours ago, DLecy said:

Why never any pics of the TRKI?

My current Camera is very cheap, has little zoom, and the kingbird is always being seen very far away. Luckily, I have a new Camera coming Sunday and hopefully if I find it again, I can get a pic of it.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, IKLland said:

My current Camera is very cheap, has little zoom, and the kingbird is always being seen very far away. Luckily, I have a new Camera coming Sunday and hopefully if I find it again, I can get a pic of it.

What camera did you get?

Just now, Aidan B said:

What camera did you get?

I got @Charlie Spencers suggestion. The panasonic fz80point and shoot. I thought it fits my budget, needs, and it’s a good beginning Camera. As you may know, I have been birding since may, but just as a backyard birder. I basically started real birding in November, so I am still very good to the hobby, but I am loving it!

• Like 2

I might have found something very exciting in the Davis Mountains State park like an Elf Owl, but did I? Noooo, I found a Brown thrasher.:classic_angry:

image.png.7845f5f63e8895723a50631c65f4f59f.png

image.png.e057277fa9d73a1ace0c3265c70c24e3.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, IKLland said:

see all 17 shots of the Thick-billed here!

https://ebird.org/checklist/S83325312

I know you are excited about your new camera and I'm stoked for you, but I wanted to share a few photo guidelines from eBird that relate to your checklist.

- Upload multiple photos (up to 10 per species), but only if they are sufficiently different.

Multiple images of the same species

- We encourage you to add multiple photos that show different individuals, parts, angles, or behaviors of the species as well as photos illustrating different individuals seen while you are out birding. However, multiple images should illustrate differences and not be nearly identical frames from the same burst of shots.

Many of your photos are VERY similar, with the bird only moving just slightly and/or the exact same photo posted multiple times just cropped differently. The Macaulay Library has to store all images uploaded to the site and they want observers to avoid doing these such things. As an observer, a checklist with so many photos of so many species is visually fatiguing.

Please read this page from eBird:

https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48001064357#Summary

21 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

How are you able to post >10 photos on a checklist?

This.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, chipperatl said:

How are you able to post >10 photos on a checklist?

Someone posted a work around to the photo limit and it seems that others are taking advantage of it and ignoring the upload limits. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, BigOly said:

Raise your hand if you have photographed a Dwarf Vireo 🖐

Raise two hand if you have not photographed a Dwarf Vireo.🖐️🖐️

• Haha 5