Whatbird Community

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lifer 300, the great and mighty Whooping Crane.

Finally after more than a month I was able to get a photo of the Harris’s Sparrow where you can actually tell what it is. Still poor quality however. Think I’m doomed to never get a good photo but alw

Been real busy at work to post but did get out to see this Black Guillemot when it showed up in december here on the jersey shore  

Posted Images

While it's easy to see these guys en-masse out west, it's very rare in Central Illinois, this representing the fourth eBird county record (I found the third last year).

yhbl.thumb.jpg.5454b5b5e680127dc26bb0b9922908e9.jpg

• Like 8

I refound one of the 3 or so Tufted Ducks that have been seen along Lake Champlain off and on this winter. There’s been a drake, young male, and a female, and I relocated the drake today! No photo, but a bunch of other VT birders were able to find it after I reported it, so they may have gotten photos.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S84174643

• Like 3

Unfortunately wasn't able to get a photo of a male, but a Smith's Longspur is still a Smith's Longspur! It's probably the midwest's only specialty, other than Eurasian Tree Sparrow.

smlo.thumb.jpg.eb925895be94951e361b1c881380291c.jpg

• Like 5

I went back today to get a shot of a male- the flock has now grown to about 40 birds. Unfortunately, like most longspurs, Smith's are quite flighty and hard to photograph....

smlo.thumb.jpg.ef787091990b512856c65df472698ccf.jpg

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Hasan said:

I went back today to get a shot of a male- the flock has now grown to about 40 birds. Unfortunately, like most longspurs, Smith's are quite flighty and hard to photograph....

That’s always annoying. I haven’t been able to photograph Longspur away from their breeding grounds because of that. The best I’ve done is an out of focus blob flying directly away from the camera. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Parakeet Auklet! More photos to come

Parakeet Auklet

PAAU is a GREAT bird, esp. for Sonoma County, but c'mon, you have to post a pic of the star of the show!

Edited by DLecy
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, DLecy said:

PAAU is a GREAT bird, esp. for Sonoma County, but c'mon, you have to post a pic of the star of the show!

Well, I guess it IS a second county record and a REALLY good bird, but I drooled when i saw the Pterodroma pic.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Here it is. It's real unfortunate that you couldn't make it. 

HAPE.thumb.jpg.9f4a9965a23d327f8ec6b3fe4a055321.jpg

Yeah, that one HURT! Next time. Gotta get LC to line one up for early August to try for Cook's too. Congrats. Great bird.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Hasan said:

@Connor Cochrane@DLecy For those who don't have the gift of living along the coastline and aren't familiar w/ pelagic birds, what petrel is that a photo of?

Yes, out of the possible gadfly petrels one could get on a spring pelagic out of Bodega Bay, HAPE is the most desired. There is always a chance for Cook's and Murphy's Petrel, but given the fact that HAPE is endangered, most birders want that one.

Years ago you could chum at Cordell Bank. Now that you can't, any Pterodroma sp. is pretty darn tough to come by.

I was slated to go today, but had to bail. Pangs of sadness wrap my heart right nowI. BUT, 'm happy for all who got the bird.

• Like 1