Whatbird Community

18 hours ago, Seattle said:

I'm scared to death to go out on a pelagic trip!  Whenever we went to Westport I would think - Maybe this time - NO.   I just can't do it

You should try it. They are amazing. Aside from the phenomenal birds, to see a blue whale is the utmost of beautiful and humbling experiences.

• Like 2
  • Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lifer 300, the great and mighty Whooping Crane.

Finally after more than a month I was able to get a photo of the Harris’s Sparrow where you can actually tell what it is. Still poor quality however. Think I’m doomed to never get a good photo but alw

Been real busy at work to post but did get out to see this Black Guillemot when it showed up in december here on the jersey shore  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Glossy Ibis and Wilson’s Phalarope, as well as pure GWWA and BWWA, and a backcross and Brewster’s Hybrids throughout the day!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Murphy's Petrel! I'll upload better quality photos once I get the ebird checklist.

MUPE.thumb.jpg.feaa37f725e6c6d997c70774b444913b.jpg

Congrats. Who got on that beast first? Mario?! He is a Pelagic Don, btw.

Just now, DLecy said:

Congrats. Who got on that beast first? Mario?! He is a Pelagic Don, btw.

That was Me and Lucas Stephenson. He called it out on the horizon and the two of us watched it as it came closer until we realized it was a Murphys. Mario had one of the Hawaiians, LC had the other, then I had the third mystery petrel.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That was Me and Lucas Stephenson. He called it out on the horizon and the two of us watched it as it came closer until we realized it was a Murphys. Mario had one of the Hawaiians, LC had the other, then I had the third mystery petrel.

Did people get pics of the mystery petrel? I heard 3 HAPEs and 1 MUPE, right?

Edited by DLecy
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Did people get pics of the mystery petrel?

I was the only one with a camera who got on it. It was a Hawaiian's or Cooks, it was just too far out to confirm. I might have gotten some photos, which I need to check.

4 minutes ago, DLecy said:

I heard 3 HAPEs and 1 MUPE, right?

Two confirmed HAPE and 1 MUPE, the third HAPE was the mystery petrel, it's much more likely it's Hawaiian from our looks, but we couldn't eliminate Cook's.

Edited by Connor Cochrane
1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I was the only one with a camera who got on it. It was a Hawaiian's or Cooks, it was just too far out to confirm. I might have gotten some photos, which I need to check.

Gotta check. A three Gadfly day would be unbelievably epic. Sorry to have missed the trip.