Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Rare Birds!!!


Nivalis
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DLecy said:

Trumpeter Swans! Always a really good bird for CA, and there were large numbers of them here. I also got some goodies of the Brambling which I will post shortly!

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/410971801

2400?__hstc=264660688.17e625efb03765b1e5

 

59 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Ok, so I know some of you may be tired of the Brambling on this thread; my sincere apologies. 😎

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/410978011

2400?__hstc=264660688.17e625efb03765b1e5

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/410977581

2400?__hstc=264660688.17e625efb03765b1e5

Soooo jealous!  Nice shots! Congrats! I’d love to head up there to see the brambling but I just don’t have the time…..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

 

Soooo jealous!  Nice shots! Congrats! I’d love to head up there to see the brambling but I just don’t have the time…..

Yeah, it's a trek but you're young...there will be another for you to chase at some point. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IKLland said:

Lifer, yardbird, and local rarity, Lawrence’s Goldfinch in my yard! 
2400?__hstc=264660688.266b3944070f0877fa

Whooo! Best Goldfinch! Nice bird! I wish I had one visit my yard! I think 2-3 pairs breed in my patch, at least they did last year, and I also found a pair about .25 of a mile from my home during the winter, but I've still never had any in my yard! 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Whooo! Best Goldfinch! Nice bird! I wish I had one visit my yard! I think 2-3 pairs breed in my patch, at least they did last year, and I also found a pair about .25 of a mile from my home during the winter, but I've still never had any in my yard! 

Thanks! It was just this stunner. I’m curious to see if he’s here again tomorrow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IKLland said:

HE IS STILL HERE!

2400

Question: 

He has NO fear of me. I walk right up to him, and it appears that he sees me, but doesn’t care. I can touch him if I wanted to. 
 

I have had a blind HOFI in the yard, and it would fly very awkwardly because it didn’t know where it was going. This bird appears completely healthy, and flies perfectly. He has no trouble finding the feeders and water. 
Is it possible that he has experienced humans before and has no fear?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Question: 

He has NO fear of me. I walk right up to him, and it appears that he sees me, but doesn’t care. I can touch him if I wanted to. 
 

I have had a blind HOFI in the yard, and it would fly very awkwardly because it didn’t know where it was going. This bird appears completely healthy, and flies perfectly. He has no trouble finding the feeders and water. 
Is it possible that he has experienced humans before and has no fear?

Does he move around a lot and fight off other birds who are getting too close or does he stay in one place for long periods of time?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Does he move around a lot and fight off other birds who are getting too close or does he stay in one place for long periods of time?

Do you think he could’ve used to be a pet? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It's interesting. I don't really know many (If any) locations were people get Lawrence's regularly at feeders in Northern California. 

He seems to be eating some safflower that I have out.

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crazy early Eastern Towhee at my feeders - SW MI.  7 weeks earlier than County, and my, earliest record for one.  Showed up on 2/2, day of the snowstorm that dropped 10" of snow here.  He had two legs showing yesterday, so must just have one pulled up.  

2400?__hstc=264660688.26251003d11b8556ea

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...