Whatbird Community

Rare Birds!!!

Nivalis

I've been on a roll lately! In the past week and a half, I've found all of the below. All of these are or were flagged as rare in Sacramento County on eBird. It's been a great spring so far! 

13 Hammond's Flycatchers

2 Dusky Flycatchers

2 Gray Flycatchers

130 Band-tailed Pigeons (on five different checklists)

1 Calliope Hummingbird

2 Western Wood-Pewee (early)

1 Yellow Warbler (early)

3 MacGillivray's Warbler (early)

50 Snow Geese (late)

• Like 8

This bird has created quite a lot of interest locally (two hours north of Toronto) - White Wagtail, not mega rare but... still amazes me how these birds appear. This one is the Siberian Ssp. (ocularis) which apparently should breed in northern Russia and winter in Eastern Asia, such as Japan.

I saw these a lot in my early years in England, although the Pied Wagtail was my favourite.

White Wagtail McKRd 7566349-.jpg

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

A freaking Ruddy Ground-Dove showed up not far from me today!!!! The northernmost record ever, and a bird I don't think anyone expected to show up in the area!!! Life bird 464!!! Such an insane record!

20230427_141109.thumb.jpg.823189641b54d374740e2903ac208610.jpg

Holy ****!!

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Aidan B said:

A freaking Ruddy Ground-Dove showed up not far from me today!!!! The northernmost record ever, and a bird I don't think anyone expected to show up in the area!!! Life bird 464!!! Such an insane record!

20230427_141109.thumb.jpg.823189641b54d374740e2903ac208610.jpg

I may chase this tomorrow if it sticks. I may DM you with a few questions. Cool?

16 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

You found them???!!!!

Yes, kind of. There has been a few records of them at this location in the past. But yes, I found them in the sense I wasn't just chasing someone else's recent find. 

Basically this lake (and really just this location) is the only place they have been seen.  

2023-05-05 07.51.49 ebird.org d51f4c7d55f4.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Basically this lake (and really just this location) is the only place they have been seen

That's not strictly true, there was on being seen at another lake a few years ago.