Whatbird Community

Rare Birds!!!

Nivalis

1 hour ago, Aidan B said:

Great Shearwater on yesterday's Pelagic!!!!!!!!!!! 2nd Marin County record and 18th state record, and the first California record in over six years! Crazy to think how far this bird had to travel to reach California!

Congrats!!!!!! I’m so so so jealous. I wish SoCal pelagics got as many really good birds and just sheer number of decent birds as NorCal does! 

A post on a/the state-wide New Jersey email list indicated that the Sage Thrasher was seen this morning. But there is still nothing on eBird right now. (Pulled from Sialia.com)

Date: 11/16/23 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Sage Thrasher Continues 11-16-23 (Forsythe - Atlantic Co.)

And the SAGE THRASHER stayed over as well, reported still at Brig around
GM 10 this morning, 11-16-23.  There is no bad weather predicted through
the weekend, so perhaps all these birds will stick around.

Susan Treesh

2 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

A post on a/the state-wide New Jersey email list indicated that the Sage Thrasher was seen this morning. But there is still nothing on eBird right now. (Pulled from Sialia.com)

Date: 11/16/23 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Sage Thrasher Continues 11-16-23 (Forsythe - Atlantic Co.)

And the SAGE THRASHER stayed over as well, reported still at Brig around
GM 10 this morning, 11-16-23.  There is no bad weather predicted through
the weekend, so perhaps all these birds will stick around.

Susan Treesh

Yeah you're right. I was going by the various text alerts which basically said that it had disappeared after noon time. Looking at eBird though people did have it later in the day so guess it was refound.

• Like 3

Swainson's Hawk.

From yesterday - self found.  Pretty certain this is my first self found rare bird.  I wasn't looking for it and was quite surprised when it started to become a real possibility.  My county does get a fair share of wintering rarities, but I generally expect to have to go to the western part to chase them.  

Not a lifer, but only my second observation

First sighting of one anywhere on the Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge (this refuge has a number of hotspots) since November 13th, 2020!  Also, not the same bird - I can tell from photos of the last sighting.

Thanks, again to all the folks who worked with me last night to help sort this one out.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/611291943

• Like 2

From the last week, Orange County, California. 

Continuing Gray Flycatcher 

Continuing Plumbeous Vireo

Continuing Zone-tailed Hawk + a new bird(self found)

Self found Plumbeous Vireo

Self found Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Continuing American Oystercatcher  1800

Self found Franklin’s Gull1800

Continuing Black Scoter1800

Self found intergrade YRWA 1800

Self found Varied Thrush 1800

• Like 8

1 minute ago, chipperatl said:

Trifecta today.  Long-tailed Duck (looks like same one I saw a week ago that others have missed this week), Limpkin (I think this one is now the latest in the year Limpkin in Michigan), and Black-Crowned Night Heron.  

Bcnh is rare?!

15 hours ago, IKLland said:

Bcnh is rare?!

4 hours ago, Tanager 101 said:

For the time of year, yes. They don't overwinter at least in my part of the state.

Year-round rare here.  I have first record for the county in 2014 (2 birds), and this is only my 3rd observation since then with previous one April 2018.  Actually only 4th bird as one of those 3 was 3 days after my first record at same spot.  It probably will show more prevalent now only because people have come looking for the Limpkin, and seen this one also.  I think this would be only 5th record of the bird in the county.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IKLland said:

The comments say “known location”. So how was it self found?

In the field I thought it was a Great Egret, but then when I got home and looked at recent checklists for the hotspot, I saw a checklist from the past weekend with photos of a Great Blue Heron (Great White), and then realized I had misidentified that bird and went ahead and changed the observation.  

I wasn't planning on going here today.  It just happened to be on my way home from something I had to take care of.  I may have seen this observation on a County Rare Bird Alert, but if I did, I didn't remember it, so, as I had no idea the bird was here and wasn't looking for it, I believe I get to claim it was self found.  🙂

Edited by dragon49
  • Like 2

Continuing second county record and mega LeConte’s Sparrow! Finally got it on my fourth try! What a strange story this bird has been in the birding community…those of you Californians that have been following along will probably know what I’m talking about lol 😂😂

Im so glad we have this bird and that it’ll likely winter. Tough to get good looks and ANY photos, but luckily it was showing itself much more today than the last three days. Still distant though. 1800

• Like 9