Whatbird Community

Rare Birds!!!

Nivalis

19 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Bay-breasted Warbler from my desert trip.

Awesome find! I’m really jealous, there’s been 2 BBWAs in my county in the last year and I didn’t see either one 😕 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 11:28 AM, IKLland said:

Awesome find! I’m really jealous, there’s been 2 BBWAs in my county in the last year and I didn’t see either one 😕 

Make that 3! Another one this morning, and I’m in San Diego at my sisters softball for the weekend 

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Make that 3!

That's crazy! Seems like it's been a pretty good year for BBWA in the state this spring given there's been 4-5 in the past month! Hopefully another shows up when you can chase it!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

That's crazy! Seems like it's been a pretty good year for BBWA in the state this spring given there's been 4-5 in the past month! Hopefully another shows up when you can chase it!

Absolutely! There was one yesterday at the San Diego zoo as well

On 6/6/2024 at 7:55 PM, Seattle said:

I wish Merlin bird recordings were accurate.  I'd be reporting a hooded oriole and a northern mockingbird today!!

I'd have so many more birds on my life list: Red Junglefowl (our rooster), Hepatic Tanager (Summer Tanager), Chevi Vireo (Red-eyed), etc., etc., My merlin app seems to give me more crazy birds than others I know even with downloaded packs for the correct geographical location...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

SNAIL KITE - Wayne County, Tennessee

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/620693256Snail Kite - Avery Fish

Bird was found on the 19th, identified and reported the 20th, and refound this morning. The bird was not doing well, so it was captured and taken to a rehab facility, from where it will eventually be taken back to Florida and released. MUCH better photos from this checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S182920402

Edited by Avery
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

so can I still claim this as "self-found?"

Ultimately this is up to you, but if they’re likely the same bird’s somebody else already had, then no, I wouldn’t consider it self found. 

• Thanks 1