Whatbird Community

Rare Birds!!!

Nivalis

14 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Jun 2017 Pinellas co. FL

I counted this as a Great Black-Backed Gull, but ebird reviewer said it was more likely a Kelp Gull.  Now listed as Larus sp. per his suggestion.  I may have posted this one on WhatBird before.  

6K7A0405 - Copy.JPG

That does look very similar to a kelp gull. You should put it on the bird ID forum. 

@Connor Cochrane--I'm pretty sure I did, but I can't pull up my earliest posts on here.  Should I re-post?

3 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That does look very similar to a kelp gull. You should put it on the bird ID forum. 

Jun 2017 Pinellas co. FL

I counted this as a Great Black-Backed Gull, but ebird reviewer said it was more likely a Kelp Gull.  Now listed as Larus sp. per his suggestion.  I may have posted this one on WhatBird before.  

2 minutes ago, floraphile said:

@Connor Cochrane--I'm pretty sure I did, but I can't pull up my earliest posts on here.  Should I re-post?

Jun 2017 Pinellas co. FL

Yeah. I think you should repost. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 12:24 PM, BirdNrd said:

Ah, I thought that it was that one up in northern CA.

The photo you are referencing is of a Whooping Crane. Note the bands on the legs (WHCR is endangered and all birds from the four different populations are closely monitored) as well as the all white plumage with red crown and black markings on the face. The bird in Modoc County CA was a Common Crane, which is an old world vagrant. They are different species.

9 minutes ago, DLecy said:

The photo you are referencing is of a Whooping Crane. Note the bands on the legs (WHCR is endangered and all birds from the four different populations are closely monitored) as well as the all white plumage with red crown and black markings on the face. The bird in Modoc County CA was a Common Crane, which is an old world vagrant. They are different species.

Yes, I agree. I just really quickly glanced at the photo. I don't know why I thought Common.