Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally after more than a month I was able to get a photo of the Harris’s Sparrow where you can actually tell what it is. Still poor quality however. Think I’m doomed to never get a good photo but alw

Lifer 300, the great and mighty Whooping Crane.

Been real busy at work to post but did get out to see this Black Guillemot when it showed up in december here on the jersey shore  

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, floraphile said:

Jun 2017 Pinellas co. FL

I counted this as a Great Black-Backed Gull, but ebird reviewer said it was more likely a Kelp Gull.  Now listed as Larus sp. per his suggestion.  I may have posted this one on WhatBird before.  

6K7A0405 - Copy.JPG

That does look very similar to a kelp gull. You should put it on the bird ID forum. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Connor Cochrane--I'm pretty sure I did, but I can't pull up my earliest posts on here.  Should I re-post?

3 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That does look very similar to a kelp gull. You should put it on the bird ID forum. 

Jun 2017 Pinellas co. FL

I counted this as a Great Black-Backed Gull, but ebird reviewer said it was more likely a Kelp Gull.  Now listed as Larus sp. per his suggestion.  I may have posted this one on WhatBird before.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, floraphile said:

@Connor Cochrane--I'm pretty sure I did, but I can't pull up my earliest posts on here.  Should I re-post?

Jun 2017 Pinellas co. FL

I counted this as a Great Black-Backed Gull, but ebird reviewer said it was more likely a Kelp Gull.  Now listed as Larus sp. per his suggestion.  I may have posted this one on WhatBird before.  

Yeah. I think you should repost. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I took this pic, this gull seemed incredibly exhausted.  For most of the time, he just sat on the beach with the other "usual suspects" (Laughing Gulls, various tern spp., peeps) going about their business around him.  He was monstrous in size compared to the others.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 12:24 PM, BirdNrd said:

Ah, I thought that it was that one up in northern CA.

The photo you are referencing is of a Whooping Crane. Note the bands on the legs (WHCR is endangered and all birds from the four different populations are closely monitored) as well as the all white plumage with red crown and black markings on the face. The bird in Modoc County CA was a Common Crane, which is an old world vagrant. They are different species.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DLecy said:

The photo you are referencing is of a Whooping Crane. Note the bands on the legs (WHCR is endangered and all birds from the four different populations are closely monitored) as well as the all white plumage with red crown and black markings on the face. The bird in Modoc County CA was a Common Crane, which is an old world vagrant. They are different species.

Yes, I agree. I just really quickly glanced at the photo. I don't know why I thought Common.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...