Whatbird Community

This bird was seen on December 21 of last year at Milavec Reservoir in Colorado (just southeast of Longmont, CO).  It struck me as much larger than a Cooper's hawk- making me think/hope for Goshawk, but I am honestly terrible with Accipiters and would love a second opinion.  Thank you in advance!

DSCN1834_crop.jpg

DSCN1836_crop.jpg

3 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Is this a young bird? I hate to be that guy, but this kinda looks like a Cooper's Hawk to me, although it is tough to tell.

Yes, this is a young bird.  Thank you for your thoughts.

4 hours ago, Creeker said:

Hard pics but that is a strong white supetcillium in that second pic which strikes me as a Gos.

Thank you for your response!

The bill head profile seems like Cooper's to me. Goshawk would have a larger bill, less of a distinct forehead, with the bill sloping in line with the top of the head, in general a more rounded head. Also, the undertail coverts visible to the left side of the base of the tail appear clean white in this photo, which is consisten with Cooper's, whereas a Goshawk would have some brown spotting on there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

The bill head profile seems like Cooper's to me. Goshawk would have a larger bill, less of a distinct forehead, with the bill sloping in line with the top of the head, in general a more rounded head. Also, the undertail coverts visible to the left side of the base of the tail appear clean white in this photo, which is consisten with Cooper's, whereas a Goshawk would have some brown spotting on there.

I really appreciate the detailed explanation you gave!  I've saved this to my computer to hopefully help me identify future birds as well.