Whatbird Community
ARL

Please Help Me Identify [iBird Request]

Photo was taken 08/05/18 in Manchester (Eastern), KY. I and others I have spoken to believe it to be a Northern Waterthrush, rather than a Louisiana Waterthrush, however this would be rare for the date and location (no sightings have ever been recorded on eBird for that area). This area exists well outside the Northern’s breeding range, but it’s possible it’s migrating early. iBird usually identifies it as a Northern, but occasionally as a Louisiana depending on the picture.

Additional views can be found by following the link below:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FQceNGj

Thank you!

AAE2D325-D63B-4999-9450-9120722F42E4.jpeg

7FEEE933-F315-452E-A856-A86616ED69FA.jpeg

4C46D7EE-33C7-4CBE-A501-F17738AAB11F.jpeg

57560959-C23E-43A1-B791-324DDD4A3B62.jpeg

C76E86E1-24E0-4610-AD4D-4D16CAE326B8.png

9F23516E-C813-441C-8DB0-B005D4AF82B6.png

37109D84-1CCA-487D-B7DE-6550F9F052E3.png

Fairly positive that's a Northern Waterthrush.  The tail tapers to a pointier tip than a Louisiana's tail, which is more squared off. Also the very subtle differences in the gray wash.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:25 PM, ARL said:

Photo was taken 08/05/18 in Manchester (Eastern), KY. I and others I have spoken to believe it to be a Northern Waterthrush, rather than a Louisiana Waterthrush, however this would be rare for the date and location (no sightings have ever been recorded on eBird for that area). This area exists well outside the Northern’s breeding range, but it’s possible it’s migrating early. iBird usually identifies it as a Northern, but occasionally as a Louisiana depending on the picture.

Additional views can be found by following the link below:

https://imgur.com/gallery/FQceNGj

Thank you

This is a very cool set of photos and a good study of how iBird Photo Sleuth works, especially in showing where it can be ambiguous. However I like that you submitted several photos so you could see what answers were most likely. In your iBird screen shots it shows 99% confidence its a Northern Waterthrush for 1 of the guesses and 90% confident for the other. While for the Louisiana Waterthrush its only 69% confident. I am curious which photo gave the Louisiana as the most likely? And did you find cropping the image made any difference in which species it guessed? 

Mitch

I don’t know about this photo, but on my submission’s the crop makes a difference. The distance affects the results even if it’s the same photo.