Whatbird Community

Having a hard time Iding a bird I saw last August 17 near Maumee State Park on Lake Erie.  Sleuth Photo wants to call it a Redwing which isn't very likely.  Looks like a sparrow to me but I don't know what kind if it is?  Maybe a juvenile?

20190819-IMG_2578

Thanks for the help! 

It is a Red-winged Blackbird, a female or juvenile.  Note the large, pointed bill, the dense dark streaking, and the small head in proportion to the body.

• Like 2

Welcome!

15 hours ago, Barry Engleman said:

Sleuth Photo wants to call it a Redwing which isn't very likely.

MIght I ask why you thought Red-winged Blackbird wasn't likely?  The bird is perched on what appears to be a plant in the Mallow family, plants that like moist soil.  That looks like water in the background.  If those are the case, a marshy area is the right setting for a Red-winged.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-winged_Blackbird/

Edited by Charlie Spencer

My first id of a female red-winged blackbird detoured to sparrow.  But... I thought it must have taken some steroids due to its size compared to the other birds around it.  LOL  It was on the ground near my feeders.  Very common mistake for a new birder.

3 hours ago, roundywaves said:

My first id of a female red-winged blackbird detoured to sparrow.  But... I thought it must have taken some steroids due to its size compared to the other birds around it.  LOL  It was on the ground near my feeders.  Very common mistake for a new birder.

It can get confusing with all the brown streaky songbirds for sure, sparrows and female blackbirds and female finches and pipits and all. Some of them don't give you many (or any) obvious ID marks to go off of.

Bill shape is a good way to narrow down to family, i.e. you can tell it is a blackbird, not a sparrow, because the bill is long and pointy, not short and stout like a sparrow. 

• Like 1