Whatbird Community
Richard

East Tennessee Hawk ID help

Hi everyone, I need some help identifying this/these hawks. First photo taken on a rainy morning, the next three perched on a dead tree and the final photo perched on a sign. All photos taken within 200’ of each other on three separate days during the last couple of weeks. Local birding experts think they are either a young Cooper’s Hawk or Sharp-shinned. Photographed near Knoxville TN. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

33D21C54-9BF5-4306-B6A9-0101B1C89532.jpeg

76E198DC-2932-46F3-B1D0-DA3C435D9DFB.jpeg

18898598-DC82-447E-8E17-DB0FD00734EE.jpeg

06E81073-9509-441F-8561-C21EA0CA12B2.jpeg

1D41C841-8CE0-41E3-9D7C-BB76B78CE247.jpeg

Welcome to Whatbird and nice photos!

These are actually young Broad-winged Hawks. Note the short tail, indicating a Buteo-type (not Accipter-type) hawk. Next, the plain brown back and wings, thin bands on the tail, and stocky appearance all point to a young Broad-winged Hawk.

Edited by akandula

Definitely not Cooper's or Sharp-shinned.  But why aren't these (faded?) young Red-shouldereds?  The breast patterns seem rather dense and isn't that the translucent part of the primaries I see in the third photo?  Are Broad-wings already back in the U.S.?

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Definitely not Cooper's or Sharp-shinned.  But why aren't these (faded?) young Red-shouldereds?  The breast patterns seem rather dense and isn't that the translucent part of the primaries I see in the third photo?  Are Broad-wings already back in the U.S.?

Sorry, you're correct.

37 minutes ago, akandula said:

Sorry, you're correct.

Please excuse my confusion on Akandula’s response to The Bird Nuts reply. Is there agreement that this is a young Red-shoulder and not a Broad-winged? 

Thank you all. This is an awesome community of birders!😀👍

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Agree with young red-shouldered.  Very similar to this picture taken in central Tennessee

31152276997_f69f5dfd80_3k.jpgRed-Shouldered Hawk, Juvenile by hbvol50, on Flickr