Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
BW 2009

Glaucous Gull?

Yes, far too dark for Glaucous. Though odd for Herring Gull, the bill pattern is not outside the range of variation (which is HUGE) in first-cycle Herrings. Neither North American form of Iceland Gull would sport this much pale on the bill this early in the first plumage cycle.

Yeah these ones are stumping me. I didn't think California initially, it has been several years since one has been seen in Ohio. Bill pattern is what made me shy away from Herring.

20 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Hmm. Now that I look at it again, how 'bout California Gull, for which the bill pattern would be nearly ideal? I'll think on that.

I think the bill pattern is good for Cali as well. Strong demarcation between pink and black with no smudging.

Posted (edited)

These are by no means hard and fast ID marks but bill seems stouter, head flatter than I would expect with California Gull. California typically has a pretty long but rather slender bill. I'm still thinking Herring.

Edited by AlexHenry