Whatbird Community

Male on the left looks like a Greater. I doubt the rest are identifiable. I assume you know there's a Coot and Ruddy there too.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, akiley said:

Male on the left looks like a Greater. I doubt the rest are identifiable. I assume you know there's a Coot and Ruddy there too.

Thanks. I thought the female looked like a candidate, too. Do you think not? Either way, I guess I am reluctant to submit it based on this photo.

11 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

Agree with Greater for the male. Also looks like there could be a female Redhead second farthest to the right. 

There were Redheads there so you're probably right. I'm not good with female redheads which, oddly enough, tend toward brunette.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Thanks. I thought the female looked like a candidate, too. Do you think not? Either way, I guess I am reluctant to submit it based on this photo.

The female is probably a Greater as well. But there's nothing wrong with Greater/Lesser Scaup.

• Like 2

I would not go beyond "Greater/Lesser Scaup" (or is it "Lesser/Greater Scaup?"). The male might be a GRSC, but with one poor photo, I wouldn't want to claim such. Ditto with the female.

• Like 3

Agreed, I have seen some pretty amazing head shape transformation in lesser scaup while feeding, they can round their head right out. I'm pretty reluctant to ID greaters from single distant photos now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, egosnell2002 said:

Agreed, I have seen some pretty amazing head shape transformation in lesser scaup while feeding, they can round their head right out. I'm pretty reluctant to ID greaters from single distant photos now.

I agree. Also, I have noticed that when shooting a photo sequence, at a distance especially, the same bird can morph around just a bit an appearance, either from something going on in the atmosphere or something inside the camera, or a combination thereof.

• Like 2