Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

Male on the left looks like a Greater. I doubt the rest are identifiable. I assume you know there's a Coot and Ruddy there too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, akiley said:

Male on the left looks like a Greater. I doubt the rest are identifiable. I assume you know there's a Coot and Ruddy there too.

Thanks. I thought the female looked like a candidate, too. Do you think not? Either way, I guess I am reluctant to submit it based on this photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

Agree with Greater for the male. Also looks like there could be a female Redhead second farthest to the right. 

There were Redheads there so you're probably right. I'm not good with female redheads which, oddly enough, tend toward brunette.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Thanks. I thought the female looked like a candidate, too. Do you think not? Either way, I guess I am reluctant to submit it based on this photo.

The female is probably a Greater as well. But there's nothing wrong with Greater/Lesser Scaup.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not go beyond "Greater/Lesser Scaup" (or is it "Lesser/Greater Scaup?"). The male might be a GRSC, but with one poor photo, I wouldn't want to claim such. Ditto with the female.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, I have seen some pretty amazing head shape transformation in lesser scaup while feeding, they can round their head right out. I'm pretty reluctant to ID greaters from single distant photos now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, egosnell2002 said:

Agreed, I have seen some pretty amazing head shape transformation in lesser scaup while feeding, they can round their head right out. I'm pretty reluctant to ID greaters from single distant photos now.

I agree. Also, I have noticed that when shooting a photo sequence, at a distance especially, the same bird can morph around just a bit an appearance, either from something going on in the atmosphere or something inside the camera, or a combination thereof.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...