Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
spoonbill21

Coopers or Sharp-shinned

My vote is sharp shinned due to there being no break in coloration on the back of the neck, rounded head and bug eyed appearance. But wait for the experts 🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm with Kerri for exactly the same reasons.  The dark head feathers go too far down the nape for Cooper's.

@spoonbill21, nice in-flight photos!  Good job of keeping the bird in the frame!

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Additionally, the first pic shows the bird's head elevated above the plane of the body, a behavior that I associate with Sharp-shinned. I don't know why they do it, but I see it frequently in Sharpies and only rarely in Coops.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 1:09 PM, Tony Leukering said:

Additionally, the first pic shows the bird's head elevated above the plane of the body, a behavior that I associate with Sharp-shinned. I don't know why they do it, but I see it frequently in Sharpies and only rarely in Coops.

I really didn’t know how to put it, but that set me off to it being a Sharpie, too, and I’ve never really seen one so that.

Edited by Trevor L.