Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kerri

Long shot - Owl? - very bad photos

Photos taken yesterday south of Houston Texas...again sigh...with my cell phone. I hear Great Horned Owls here all the time. I've never seen one in the wild. Lo and behold coming down our dirt road around dusk yesterday I spotted this large bird sitting on a lower branch. I know its a long shot.....can anyone confirm this brown blob as an Owl? I've included long shot and cropped. Thank you!

20200107_174401.jpg

20200107_174406.jpg

20200107_174408.jpg

Screenshot_20200108-190512_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200108-190530_Gallery.jpg

Posted (edited)

I think this bird is too brown and not gray enough.  Also, it looks too tall and slender for an owl.  The rusty breast and belly give me a Red-shouldered Hawk vibe, but it may not be identifiable.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went home to get my camera and it was gone. So I'm sure it was a bird of some sort. It was quite large and the tail seemed short and wide so I was hoping for an owl. But as Charlie pointed out the coloration seems off and I do see a lot of Red Shouldered Hawks here as well. Thank you.

• Like 1

Sure looks to me like the head is nearly as wide as the body - especially in the first crop - which would rule out a hawk. And some possible ear tufts if you look closely. He seems to be looking towards the camera and to the photographer's right. Anyone else agree?  Probably wouldn't base my lifelist sighting on this though. 

Edited by SirVive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SirVive said:

Sure looks to me like the head is nearly as wide as the body - especially in the first crop - which would rule out a hawk. And some possible ear tufts if you look closely. He seems to be looking towards the camera and to the photographer's right. Anyone else agree?  Probably wouldn't base my lifelist sighting on this though. 

That's what I was seeing, too. Although there may be branches contributing to, or detracting from the appearance. And great horned can look rusty. I'm not sure if that's seasonal or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SirVive said:

Sure looks to me like the head is nearly as wide as the body

2 hours ago, HamRHead said:

That's what I was seeing, too. Although there may be branches contributing to, or detracting from the appearance.

I have a hard time telling where tree ends and bird begins, especially in the area of the head.

• Like 1