Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
hbvol50

Which Scaups?

26 minutes ago, akandula said:

All of those look like Greater to me.

thanks! that was my first take on them

Based on the guides, it appears that the length of white in the wing in photo 1 is diagnostic for greater

1 minute ago, Tony Leukering said:

At least most are Greaters.

Not wishing to push my luck but I did read the pdf on Scaups you recently shared (I would suggest this is required reading), and have subsequently lost most of my faith in my Scaup ID skills (a good thing). I am now much more cautious about my eBird Scaup IDs.

Does the top right bird in the first two photos suggest Lesser, or not identifiable - so Greater/Lesser?

22 hours ago, RobinHood said:

Not wishing to push my luck but I did read the pdf on Scaups you recently shared (I would suggest this is required reading), and have subsequently lost most of my faith in my Scaup ID skills (a good thing). I am now much more cautious about my eBird Scaup IDs.

Does the top right bird in the first two photos suggest Lesser, or not identifiable - so Greater/Lesser?

I don't know about "suggest Lesser" as more like not definitive for Greater, though it may well be a Greater.