Whatbird Community
bobolink2014

Boat tailed Grackle Female - Question

This should be a female Boat Tailed Grackle picture taken in Florida.  Nothing special here,  except it was the first female Boat Tailed Grackle picture I took.

My question is if it weren't for being in Florida,  would this picture have characteristics that separate it from a female Great-tailed Grackle?

The female Common is easy to distinguish.  But between the Boat Tailed and Great-tailed,  I'm not so sure if you happen to be in the overlap zone.

Any thoughts?

For females, the difference would be pretty apparent. Boat-taileds are more of a deep brownish color, while Great-taileds are more on the black side.

I’m not in the crossover range. I just gatherEd that from images of the two species.

Edited by Trevor L.
  • Like 1

I agree with Trevor -- this individual is too rich brown to be a Great-tailed. Also, in most of the Gulf Coast/Florida, note the dark eyes of Boat-tails of both sexes (Great-tails would have pale eyes). Great-tails do not occur in Florida, so this information is only useful in overlap areas like Louisiana and Texas.

Edited by akandula
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, akandula said:

I agree with Trevor -- this individual is too rich brown to be a Great-tailed. Also, in most of the Gulf Coast/Florida, note the dark eyes of Boat-tails of both sexes (Great-tails would have pale eyes). Great-tails do not occur in Florida, so this information is only useful in overlap areas like Louisiana and Texas.

I don't know that I'd go that far. I would say that Great-tailed has not been reliably reported from Florida; I have little doubt that it has occurred. Note the nearby record from Alabama:

https://ebird.org/map/grtgra?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2020

Except for the immediate vicinity of Pensacola, western panhandle Florida (where GTGR is probably most likely) is lightly and poorly birded. It's also mostly wonderful, very different from peninsular Florida, with oodles of native habitat, even Black Bears.

Edited by Tony Leukering
clarification
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for the tips.    I've been in Austin  TX where I had some pictures of Grackles and couldn't tell the difference and figured,  I'll just see them both in their native areas and count them at the time.   But it's nice to get some additional knowledge.

I would also say that overall coloration of females of the two big grackles is quite variable and I wouldn't count on that feature to differentiate among the two species (see GTGR here). In Texas, Boat-tailed is virtually restricted to tidal areas in east TX; Great-taileds can be found most everywhere.