Whatbird Community

Yes, this is a young Bald Eagle. To separate eagles from other types of raptors, note the heavy body, large head, and long, hooked bill.

Young Golden Eagles don't have white that close to the body.

• Thanks 1

I’m leaning Golden, but wait for more replies.

Sniped and corrected by akandula. Ignore me.

Edited by Trevor L.
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Bald Eagle

32 minutes ago, Trevor L. said:

I’m leaning Golden, but wait for more replies.

Sniped and corrected by akandula. Ignore me.

I know the feeling.

• Thanks 1

Golden Eagles have a significantly longer tail than Bald Eagle or Turkey Vulture. They also have more bulging secondaries than Bald Eagles - especially the juveniles, which have longer secondaries than adults. Coupled with a smaller head and bill than Bald Eagle, but larger than Turkey Vulture, and the tendency to soar with a slight dihedral, very steady flight (vs Turkey Vulture), and slow, lazy circling (vs Red-tailed or even Ferruginous Hawk) all lend Golden Eagles a rather distinctive look and feel, even from great distances. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:46 AM, AlexHenry said:

Golden Eagles have a significantly longer tail than Bald Eagle or Turkey Vulture. They also have more bulging secondaries than Bald Eagles - especially the juveniles, which have longer secondaries than adults. Coupled with a smaller head and bill than Bald Eagle, but larger than Turkey Vulture, and the tendency to soar with a slight dihedral, very steady flight (vs Turkey Vulture), and slow, lazy circling (vs Red-tailed or even Ferruginous Hawk) all lend Golden Eagles a rather distinctive look and feel, even from great distances. 

Hear, hear

Bald -- head and tail projections roughly similar

Golden -- head projection about half that of tail projection