Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
KeleeEiselein

New bird in our yard

We have in recent weeks seen a new flock of birds in our pine trees in the backyard. We live in North Bend, OR (Southwestern coast).In the pictures you will see this group tends to just hang out i the tree for long periods... we have several feeders of different kinds down below the green line of the trees but we can't tell if (haven't seen them) these guys have come down to feed. Thank you for your help and expertise! We are enjoying getting to know all the beautiful birds in our new area and are grateful to you all for helping us identify and get to know them better! Kelee Eiselein

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

Pine Siskins like small seeds so hanging tube feeders or sock feeders filled with thistle seeds or black nyjer seeds will easily attract them to your feeding area for a closer look. 

Edited by lonesome55dove

@KeleeEiselein, Pine Siskins are an 'irruptive' species.  Their migration patterns and destinations change every winter.  Their movement is based on how much food is available each winter in their breeding territory.  If there's plenty of food, they don't come as far south.  This may be why you haven't seen them in the past.  Indeed, in 15 years, I've only had them at my house in two winters.  I'm in SC, so takes a real shortage of their preferred seeds to drive them this far south.  Some other finches, crossbills, and grosbeaks are other irruptives.

• Like 2