Whatbird Community

Hey all, waterfowl are not my strong point. SW WA - calm area of the Lewis River - any other smallish white bellied ducks besides HOME whose wings make a high pitched chirping sound even well after takeoff?  Some white on underwings and maybe head also. Unfortunately didn't get a great look at him except as he skedattled and then circled back overhead after gaining altitude. 

OK,  will leave it unidentified then - the sound was just so clear and sharp (even more so than the recording under HOME in Merlin) and lasted till it was out of hearing and nearly out of sight that it seemed rather unique and was hoping it was an identifiable sound.

23 minutes ago, SirVive said:

OK,  will leave it unidentified then - the sound was just so clear and sharp (even more so than the recording under HOME in Merlin) and lasted till it was out of hearing and nearly out of sight that it seemed rather unique and was hoping it was an identifiable sound.

Common Goldeneyes are known for their distinctive whistling sound; I think that at least some of the others on my list have a more whirring sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, akandula said:

Common Goldeneyes are known for their distinctive whistling sound; I think that at least some of the others on my list have a more whirring sound.

Definitely not a simple whirring sound - more like someone squeaking a dog toy or one of those wood 'bird call' chirpers only at such a rapid rate - staccato style. 

• 3 weeks later...

Saw both Common and Barrow's at this location the other day and spooked both several times but neither sounded right for the mystery bird. Maybe it was a HOME after all?  Definitely cool to see both Goldeneye together though - those breeding males are gorgeous!