Whatbird Community
Alice Miller

ID help/confirmation for two dead and two live birds

I was just going through some of my old photos, and I found some pictures of birds from last spring/summer I had forgotten about. The first two are ones that I found dead. I think the first is an Ovenbird, I'm not sure about the second. For the third and fourth, I thought juvenile Great Blue Heron and a Gadwall respectively, but I'm not sure about those either. I saw all four in Chicago. 

IMG-4378.JPG

IMG-4556.JPG

4A4A6492-2649-4084-BEA7-DCD82EA5E771_1_201_a.jpeg

3CA19A8A-0A3E-4D8A-8179-AB705C46C79A.jpeg

Ovenbird, Blue-headed Vireo, Great Blue Heron, Gadwall respectively. You're certainly on the right track. For the Blue-headed Vireo, note the robust bill (compared to, say, a warbler), bluish-black legs, bluish gray head and white spectacles. Olive green on back and some yellowish wash in flanks.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Ovenbird, Blue-headed Vireo, Great Blue Heron, Gadwall respectively. You're certainly on the right track. For the Blue-headed Vireo, note the robust bill (compared to, say, a warbler), bluish-black legs, bluish gray head and white spectacles. Olive green on back and some yellowish wash in flanks.

I agree with this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I got three out of four.  I mistook the Ovenbird for a species of thrush.

Same

On 1/21/2020 at 10:24 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

I got three out of four.  I mistook the Ovenbird for a species of thrush.

Black lateral and orange central crown stripes rule out any thrush.

The Great Blue Heron, while a first-cycle bird (that is, in it's roughly first year of life -- as discerned by the mostly blackish crown), it is not a juvenile -- note the multiple generations of feathers in the wings (some brown, some gray).  Immature is the term that you want.

https://cobirds.org/CFO/ColoradoBirds/InTheScope/87.pdf