Whatbird Community

Is this definitely a Sharp-shinned Hawk? It would be a lifer. All photos are of the same individual. Taken in SE Pennsylvania today. Thanks a lot!

0K2A8136.jpg.05b92fe6c7bbe4e9a8602d6c2bc1d87d.jpg0K2A8137.jpg.bafcb5ef1675d87dd0f8ad5d862c18d0.jpg0K2A8139.jpg.6baa0cb58181db53b8b875832a37e070.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trevor L. said:

I know I’m in trouble when you can’t ID it. 😆😬

Haha, I mean I’m pretty confident that it’s a Sharpie — just confirming a lifer.

OK fellas!  😏🤔   This question is a regular on this forum - with guidebook worthy photos you always give a list of key points on which you based your ID. On the worst sharp-shinned/coopers photos posted in a while (which are in reality as good a view as most of us ever see of them) not one note as to how it was distinguished from the other. Shame on you! 😁

35 minutes ago, SirVive said:

OK fellas!  😏🤔   This question is a regular on this forum - with guidebook worthy photos you always give a list of key points on which you based your ID. On the worst sharp-shinned/coopers photos posted in a while (which are in reality as good a view as most of us ever see of them) not one note as to how it was distinguished from the other. Shame on you! 😁

Accipiters in flight are often easier to ID than perched accipiters, in my opinion... note the square tail, relatively small head and pulled forward wrists all suggesting Sharp-shineed Hawk here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wing beats can help distinguish, too. Both flap and glide, but Sharp-shinned have a quick wing beat. I would describe it as a flutter that barely takes them anywhere. It looks like they are trying to get traction and can't. Cooper's have a slightly slower wing beat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1