Whatbird Community
gpoole

help with today's backyard birds (four)Nova Scotia

1&2 same bird-  3&4 same bird- 5&6 same bird-- 7 who knows? Thanks for taking on the challenge.

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5247.JPG

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5259.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

I think 3, 4, and 7 are all Song Sparrows. 

5 and 6 may be Purple Finch.

I'm not sure about 1 and 2. Common Redpoll comes to mind from the 1st photo. But then in the second photo it has rosy undertail coverts.

• Like 1

Thanks AlexHenry. I think that if 5&6 is a Purple Finch then it would follow that 1&2 has a good chance of being a Purple Finch. I thought #7 should be a Song Sparrow, but it just didn't sit right with me.

2 minutes ago, Phalarope713 said:

7 is a Song Sparrow. 1-2 and 5-6 both look good for Purple Finch in my opinion. 

Agree with this and AlexHenry's remaining ID's. 

Hard to tell in these photos but 5&6 almost look like they are more yellowy/orangy than reddish on the throat/breast - is that a common variant in Purples as it is in House Finches?

Looking back at photos 1 and 2, I am beginning to think that the pink spot on photo 2 may be the uppertail, not undertail, coverts. In which case I think photos 1 and 2 are a Common Redpoll.

So 1 and 2 Common Redpoll

3 and 4 Song Sparrow

5 and 6 Purple Finch

7 Song Sparrow

For some reason I'm just not seeing Purple Finch for number 1 and 2.

Edited by AlexHenry

Alex Henry.FYI  You are correct in your assumption that the pink spot on 2 photo is the uppertail. I remember that the bird dropped down and flew away from me. Does this make the ID good for a Redpoll?

Those are most certainly not redpolls. They never show that much red, and the back of the head is always lighter than the back. This bird is too dark overall.

• Like 1

Okay, so then what is the bird in photos 1 and 2? 

In photo 2, you can see a clearly brown back - the rosy rump contrasts with the brown back. This is inconsistent with the ID of Purple Finch. Is it a House Finch? 

I'm still seeing Purple Finch for 1 and 2. The rump is always the lightest part of the finch and the back looks too purple for the other rose finches. Someone else might have a different experience and some different information though. 

4 minutes ago, Melierax said:

I'm still seeing Purple Finch for 1 and 2. The rump is always the lightest part of the finch and the back looks too purple for the other rose finches. Someone else might have a different experience and some different information though. 

Agreed. Definitely looks like a Purple Finch.