Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Yellow-rumped warbler?

I see lots of these little guys this time of year.  I live in rural central Florida.  This picture was in the first part of January.  I try id'ing but get confused by the  variability birds have.  My best guess is Yellow -rumped warbler.  

Yellow=rump.jpg

Yellow=rump2.jpg

With the yellow undertail coverts this is a Palm Warbler. The Yellow-rumped Warbler has white undertail coverts and a yellow patch on its lower back. You may have noticed this bird pumping its tail which is a good clue for Palm Warbler. Nice photos.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

With the yellow undertail coverts this is a Palm Warbler. The Yellow-rumped Warbler has white undertail coverts and a yellow patch on its lower back. You may have noticed this bird pumping its tail which is a good clue for Palm Warbler. Nice photos.

Agree completely.

Thank you.  I think with Palm Warblers I'm looking for the reddish head.  Do you think this is a female or immature?  I appreciate knowing the things to look for to help my untrained eye.

Thank you for  that link.  That also led me to Macaulay Library which I bookmarked.  Its fascinating its called Palm even though it migrates to Canada.  

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

Thank you for  that link.  That also led me to Macaulay Library which I bookmarked.  Its fascinating its called Palm even though it migrates to Canada.  

Many birds have inappropriate names.  Early naturalists often named a bird for the first place they saw one, such as in a palm tree or in a particular city or state.  It turned out that these locations weren't necessarily where the bird spent much time.  And even if those names do reflect where the bird hangs out a lot, that doesn't mean the bird can't be expected elsewhere; Orchard Orioles do go other places besides orchards.

Other confusing names are based on features the naturalists could see when they had a dead bird in hand.  Ring-necked Ducks, Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, etc.  These are leftovers from the old 'Shoot first, ID later' school of ornithology.  Many of these features are difficult to see on live birds in the field, or even in photographs.

But we're stuck with them for the moment.  :classic_blink:

• Like 4