Whatbird Community

A couple of the goldfinches in my SC backyard are showing a few bright yellow feathers.  The GBBC is two weeks off.  That pair of Red-winged Blackbirds that showed up intermittently all winter hasn't been seen in a couple of weeks.

Time for spring migration sightings.  Have at it!

• Like 1

My goldfinches are still olive in color not showing any bright yellow yet.  I typically start noticing the bright yellow feathers in March so still a little early for my area.  I've been keeping my suet cakes out so I have a ton of suet eating species including all types of woodpeckers and nuthatches.  The bluebirds, warblers (pine) and other insect eaters are using the suet as well.  Juncos, chipping sparrows and some white-throated sparrows on the ground with the doves.  I have not heard any Pine Siskins so I'm not sure where they went?  I had a few back in December. All in all, it has been a decent winter list but not as many as I get when we have a colder winter.  I can't wait on Spring with the hummers and rose-breasted grosbeaks.  I hope I get to see some grosbeaks this year!   

I have a couple of American Goldfinches that are showing a few bright yellow feathers, a bit early, but we've had a mild winter. Although it was 34 Deg F here (Sacramento) this morning and there's a cold north wind blowing today! Supposed to be back up into the 60's in a couple of days, though.

Still have White-crowned Sparrows and Juncos wintering here. The Anna's Hummingbirds are getting territorial and doing a lot of chasing. There're here year round. The Black-chinned won't be showing up for a couple of months. 

The local Nuttall's Woodpeckers are getting territorial also. There have been 4 or 5 feeding on the suet through the winter, but pretty soon it will be down to the dominant male and female who nest here and the others will have to find their own territory!

Spotted my first American Robin of the season. I usually see them in the springtime. I never heard of one eating suet, but a chunk had fallen to the ground, and it snatched it up and flew away. It was insect suet however so maybe that had something to do with it.

Our Common Grackles are starting to come in.  They nest by the dozens in our trees.  We also had a flock of male Redwing Blackbird some by our yard last week.  They stayed for a day and flew off.