Whatbird Community

I thought I would create a new topic for the Spring nesting season.  Sometimes they start putting nest materials in the boxes as early as March so we'll see since it has been a warm winter on the Eastern side of the country.  

I'm not sure if she is serious, but the female was taking nesting material in the box today.  I did see a second female hanging around, and usually they don't really get busy until they drive the others all out.  I'll check the box in a day or so and see what's going on.

We've had a couple of cold (relatively) nights.  Checked the box this morning, and no eggs yet.  We have one more cold night and then it's going to warm back up.  Hopefully eggs by the weekend.

Yes... Your girl is way ahead of mine.  Mine stopped adding nesting material right after I sent this picture last week so something interrupted her way of thinking. ... Perhaps there is still competition going on?  

Update... my female finished the nest a week ago but I haven’t seen her or the male in almost a week. I wonder what I’m the heck happened? Is there a chance that she found a better box in the neighborhood, built a nest in it and started egg laying? If this is possible, how long before I should remove the nest she built to encourage another female to build? 

I am by no means an expert, but I have watched Bluebirds for several years.  I would not be too quick about removing a nest.  Are you able to observe the box during the day to see if she is around?  It is possible something happened to one of them.  From what I have observed, Bluebirds will take a territory and wouldn't be quick to give it up.  Patience is the key, as well as observation.  Meanwhile, we have 5 eggs here and are on hatch watch for Monday.  Been in the 70's all week, and predicted to stay that way, so she isn't spending a ton of time on the eggs except at night.

I was hoping you would respond because you have been watching them for longer than I have.  I will watch for either of them some more this weekend but I believe that it is very strange that I have not seen either of them.  If I go another full weekend of being outside in the yard without a glimpse of either one of them, I think I may be forced to remove the nest because we have so many bluebirds in our neighborhood that I believe it might encourage another female to build?  Or perhaps I will give it another 5-6 days? 

Thanks for the suggestion and good luck with the hatch! 

Have you tested this bluebird house out yourself Jefferson to see if the bluebirds like it and that it keeps sparrows out? 

The bluebirds love them! And they deter the sparrows too... Maybe not 100%, but better than nothing.

About the time that I had given up hope because I have not seen either the male or female in the last 14 days, I see this!  Now you tell me how she did this without me seeing or hearing her? I did yard work all weekend and not one sign of a bluebird in my yard! Amazing! 

F22906A2-B294-4197-9903-3E114BE69064.jpeg

Haha!  Smart little birds they are.  I have found by watching that most egg laying takes place early in the morning.  Not always, but for the most part.  Since they don't incubate until the last egg is laid, there really wouldn't be a need for her to be around during the day once she has done her "business".  Congrats!

12 hours ago, Chaseman said:

Haha!  Smart little birds they are.  I have found by watching that most egg laying takes place early in the morning.  Not always, but for the most part.  Since they don't incubate until the last egg is laid, there really wouldn't be a need for her to be around during the day once she has done her "business".  Congrats!

I have to be honest and say that I might have heard one bluebird on Sunday but I wasn't listening closely but it sounded like one.  So perhaps she came into the area to check the box from a tree limb or snuck past my watchful eye while I was spreading pine straw in my tree beds.  She had one or two more eggs to lay so maybe incubation will start today.  With luck, perhaps I will see a hatch by the last day of the month?  I am very relieved.  I thought this season was going to start off on a negative note.  Thanks! 

Have any of you ever had 6 eggs before in the nest?   This was up at Mom's house in North Alabama.  I don't see how a Bluebird pair can feed 6 chicks.  5 works them to death! 

2020-03-22 08.20.34.jpg

I've never seen 6, that's interesting.  Wonder if they are all viable?  On another note, have you ever looked deep into a bird's throat?  Obviously they thought they were getting fed, but I've never seen down deep like this.  Makes me laugh.

JAQEgG5.jpg

I read on one of the bird sites that it is possible for a bluebird to produce even 7 eggs but it is very, very rare.  Apparently, 6 eggs happens more than we are aware.  We'll see if they all hatch and even more importantly, if they all survive and fledge.   They have an abundance of food at my Mom's  house so that may be the reason for the 6 eggs?  The bird house is surrounded by 4-5 acres of country mowed yard that is packed full of grasshoppers, crickets and every other type of grass dwelling insect you can think of.  But still, 6 chicks will work the pair to death! :classic_unsure:

Hi I am new but was reading about the bluebird topic  I have bluebirds also and my female and male built nest twice in same house my father built years ago . Then the third time they built in a box on my porch. And all 3 times they had 5 eggs  hatched and raised all babies .  Last ones she raised on hr own after hatching her mate got killed by a snake my hubby tried to save him but  to late . But this year she hadn’t been back but have seen a few males around. But also heard they will build false nest then the female will chose which one she likes then they both will finish it.