Whatbird Community

I check mine box a couple days ago this was her 3 batch so far normally they have 5 eggs but this time she had 3  check the box and all 3 eggs hatch so she has 3 new babies now. So far mom & dad are feeding them well and watching over them . 

4th egg on 4th of July!  Happy Independence Day!  My female laid the 4th egg this morning! I’m sure this will be it for the 3rd clutch of year! Seems too hot to me but we’ll see how it turns out.  Hug your family and be grateful for our country! Still the best gig on the planet!  God Bless! 

D665E064-A736-433B-BE5A-72A137622EF9.jpeg

• Like 1

Mine had 3 on her last batch like I said  she has 3 babies  I had to put a umbrella over her nesting box it is 100* here no wind  they was gasping for breath  and I put a wet towel over the box to and set up a fan . Couldn’t let my babies bake without doing anything . Love my blue birds ♥️ 

Happy 4th   Have fun but be safe doing it 🇺🇸

Last baby fledged yesterday.  That completes three broods for this year.  Let's hope they are done, it's hot.

• Like 1

It's gonna be mid 90s this upcoming week so the female is not even sitting on the eggs. She is out playing around with the male eating suet cake off my feeder! The eggs are supposed to be incubated at 91 degrees so I'm not sure what happens when it gets to be 95 inside the nest box?  I should have a hatch one week from today provided the eggs don't get too hot.  The young American Robins have been taking over around my property. They are waiting in line to use the bird bath.  I'm going to have to get a bigger bird bath! 

Well, bad news again for my mom's bluebird chicks.  It could have been a raccoon this time since most of the nest was also missing.   I plan to build her a new nest box that is on a single pole with a predator baffle like I have at my house for next Spring.  The first brood made it but the second and third brood yielded no new bluebirds at her house. 

Aww so sad  I hate to hear about the babies not making it .

yes I would make a box that be hard for these animals to get to 

before they decide not to nest there next yr. wishing you luck  hope next yr is better for  the blue bird  babies .

Well.... Here we go again!  July 17th and we have our first chick from brood #3 hatching this morning.  It is 93 degrees today so I will be curious to see how the chicks hold up in this heat.  One good thing is that the nest box is in the shade in the afternoons.  Maybe they will make it. I will check this weekend to see if all 4 eggs hatch. 

344677196_2020-07-1712_17_21.thumb.jpg.172d7b0c48b995c807bd9ce6886a92e9.jpg

• Like 1

All 4 eggs did hatch so I have already started seeing the male carry small insects to the box.  I'm not sure if they are eating the insects yet but he is ready when they are ready. 

• Like 1

All 4 chicks are growing with one runt but I noticed the runt was the one gaping when I opened to look inside to check on them so maybe he/she will catch up.  I do not believe that the chicks would be surviving in this 94 degree heat (100 heat index) if not for the bluebird box being in the shade from about 1 PM until dark. I just point this out for everyone so that if you are considering adding a bluebird box or if you ever decide to relocate your bluebird box, you can place it in an area where there is afternoon shade.  This is a big advantage for the bluebirds in the summertime.   Just thought I would pass this thought on since I was asking myself how are these chicks surviving yesterday. 

All 4 fledged on Thursday!  That’s it for 2020 bluebird season!  I had 3 broods all 4 eggs each. All 12 chicks made it out of the nest box! This was my most successful season to date. Now I’ll have to wait til next March for the next brood! 

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to post in a while as I've been working 6-7 days a week for the last 2-3 months. UGH.

None of the birds from the first brood survived.  A red-tail hawk got one, and a neighbors cat got the other two.  I was crushed.

Second brood of three were good. 

Third brood they moved to my neighbors box on his property and they had four.  We have a sizable blue bird population!

As a side-note, my neighbor (with the cats that are constantly in my yard) had an argument last weekend.  We've several conversations and text messages about their cats and he has stated repeatedly he would take care of the issue.  I was looking out the back window on one of my few days off and one of the cats attacked and got a Northern Flicker at the bird bath.  I ran outside and cased it away and it released the bird.

I walked directly across the street and argued about the cats and how was tired of cleaning up after dead birds, rabbits and cleaning their mess. Long-story short we disagreed over the situation.  We were able to talk it over later in the day and he assured me they would take care of the situation but yet, everyday they have been in our yard.  I ended up taking one of the bird baths down so it doesn't attack any other birds.

Does anyone else have similar issues?

Yes I have with neighbors cats  killing my birds and my doves  ask if anyone owned the cats bc I caged them and gave to shelter.

except one she claimed but she did catch him and he only been back a couple times that Ik of . But now have another one  I try to be nice and respectful  to others animals if they try to work with me bc I believe if you have s pet take care of it and keep on your property as I do mine .but if they chose not to then I will have to take another route  to save my birds . Bc they killed all my rabbits also  they keep my squirrels away  so cats got to go .

• Like 1

Go to Walmart or Sporting Goods store and purchase a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.  If the cat is on your property terrorizing your animals, you have to right to address the issue with the cats.  The BB gun will not kill the cat but it will remind him that he is not welcome on your property.  I am a cat lover myself but I do not tolerate outdoor cats that go around killing all the birds.  If they are on your property, they are fair game!   The other option is to trap the cat in a live trap and haul them off. 

Posted (edited)

I have done the cage have taken off quite a few lately. I had to do something no one wanted to claim the poor cats and I don’t want to hurt them  but I did make sure they was in a area they can get food and other cat lovers . I don’t want cats but I want hurt them either and went out of my way to get owner that Ik was the owner to take care of them or something but didn’t happen no claim on them .

So I did what I thought best bc I love my birds  and trying to bring diff ones in but didn’t want to if they was just going to get killed like all the poor little rabbits did .  But I went with the live cage capture and place them where they be taken care of .

Thanks for info and advice .

Edited by Leandz
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 2:12 AM, Leandz said:

Yes I have with neighbors cats  killing my birds and my doves  ask if anyone owned the cats bc I caged them and gave to shelter.

I have 2 cats, luckily they are rather old and there have only been 2 times when they ever killed anything. The first time was a scrawny wren and the second time was a mouse. I was a bit sad about the wren but can't bring back what's already gone.

Yes I have tried to also do that but where I live in such a rural place  only have one place and it’s a kill shelter after so many days so I rather not take them there I rather give them a chance some other way that Ik loves cats and don’t mind  taking them in. . 

• Like 1

Yes Ik what you mean once done you can’t change it and it’s hard to blame the cats bc they are just doing what is natural for the cats instincts .