Whatbird Community

I am located at Pato Blanco Lakes RV Park in Benson, AZ  Date of all pictures is 02/09/2020

There are 3 ponds here with several different species of water fowl but I have 3 that I can't positively identify.  They may be domestic water fowl but I'm not completely sure.

Thanks for any and all responses.  Very much appreciated.

I think this is the White-fronted Goose.  It rules the pond and is often seen breaking up mating of other water fowl.  They also like to chase humans.

DSC_5218.thumb.JPG.d93a6e700ab99cb2d1e916f3c7d77d1c.JPG

I think this is most likely a domestic male duck but not sure of his species.  He is mating with the next female duck that interestingly has a black bill while this male has the yellow bill.  Both bills however seem to be the same shape.

DSC_5395.thumb.JPG.a0f47c9e4885e9d043fe74a263c4204d.JPG

This is the female that the above male was mating to while I was taking pictures.

DSC_5383.thumb.JPG.9a90a71fb1a727caca5e3c309a3c8c74.JPG

Welcome to Whatbird!

These are indeed domestic waterfowl. The first picture shows domestic Greylag and the second and third photos are both of domestic Mallards.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, akandula said:

Welcome to Whatbird!

These are indeed domestic waterfowl. The first picture shows domestic Greylag and the second and third photos are both of domestic Mallards.

Welcome!

I agree with this.

• Like 1

Ok, I get the first waterfowl being domestic - if it chases a human it can't be wild.  🙂

But I've never seen a Mallard with the coloration that the 2nd and 3rd waterfowl have.  Is this due to cross breeding or is there just different variants of Mallards?

And do the 2nd and 3rd have a specie name?

Thanks a bunch to both of the responders for setting me straight.

20 minutes ago, Tumblweed said:

Ok, I get the first waterfowl being domestic - if it chases a human it can't be wild.  🙂

But I've never seen a Mallard with the coloration that the 2nd and 3rd waterfowl have.  Is this due to cross breeding or is there just different variants of Mallards?

And do the 2nd and 3rd have a specie name?

Thanks a bunch to both of the responders for setting me straight.

First of all, I'd like to add my welcome to Whatbird!!

Domestic Mallards can (and do!) come in many variations of colors, due to cross-breeding, back-breeding, inter-breeding, etc. They will cross with wild Mallards, and the offspring will vary in color. 

According to my Sibley's, both wild and Domestic Mallards are of the same species, Anas platyrhynchos. 

• Like 2

I like to joke and say that calling them domestic mallards would be like calling a poodle a domestic wolf. People don't do that. But many birders aren't into poultry so breeds mean little... speaking of, it's "breeds" not "species" when it comes to domestic birds... At the species level, these are indeed mallards... ALL domestic ducks are mallard "derived" except for the muscovy... (side note, muscovy and mallard derived birds can breed and have offspring but those offspring will be sterile...)

I'm not an expert on duck breeds... I used to know a guy that could look at these and tell you their lineage to some degree...  pretty accurately.
You can look up hatcheries such at this one...  https://www.metzerfarms.com/DucksForSale.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=24899805

and look at the breeds that are popular. MANY ducks that end up on local waterways are not pure breeds but mutts of some sort... if you ever report to eBird you would simply use the "domestic mallard" option... 
If you're more interested in breeds of domestic ducks I'd suggest finding a good poultry forum as they'd have people that would be more knowledgeable on the subject. 🙂 

• Like 2